Big Let Down

Another week had passed and nothing was going right for Louis. He was off at practices, and even worse during games. He felt like his friends resented him. And he wasn't sure if he was imagining it, but it felt like everybody was trying to get a rise out of him.

He missed Harry. More than ever. He hated seeing all the boys and girls around him fawn over him. Anna said to play it cool. She said to keep a distance. She said she had it covered, but Louis was anything but patient.

He set his sights on gaining a clear head by seeing Zayn. His mother let him in and assured him Zayn and Liam were already in the basement expecting him.

He crept down the carpeted stairs hoping to find Zayn already rolling a blunt for him. What he found was much more disturbing.

Liam. Zayn. Couch. Mouths. Tongues. So much tongue.

Liam was on top of Zayn, kissing him like he was mining for gold with his tongue. Liam and Zayn. His two best friends.

He couldn't control the sound that came out. It was part laugh part chuckle. I mean it was funny, once Louis got over how horrifying it was.

Liam immediately jumped off the couch and fixed the shirt Zayn's hands had just been under. Zayn sighed exasperatedly and sat up a little.

"So," Louis crossed his arms. "how long has this been going on?" He used an accusatory tone as he bounced on the heels of his feet.

Zayn pinched the bridge of his nose still trying to process what had just happened. "It's new," Liam answered for him. "Brand new." He emphasized.

"And what exactly is 'it'?" Louis wore his most mischievous smile. This little scandal had actually been the best part of his week, though he'd never admit that to his friends.

Both of the boys looked to each other but didn't dare say a word. They looked scared more than anything now. "I'm only joking. Sort of. I don't give a rat's ass if you two are together." Louis put a hand on his hip. "Although, I have to admit it is quite weird." He studied them a little longer.

"You're the one who recommended 'fucking your best friend.'" Zayn huffed out a small laugh.

"I didn't mean it quite so literally, jeez. If I had known you two would take all my advice I'd have told you to rob a bank and split the profits." He continued to give them a hard time. "Is that all it is then? Hmm?" He raised an eyebrow.

Zayn wouldn't return Liam's gaze. "Look you can't tell anyone about this." Zayn peered into Louis' eyes with a pleading look. Liam looked surprised by the order. "I don't want Olivia finding out."

Louis suddenly felt very out of place, not that he hadn't before. Liam looked gutted. The look on his face reminded Louis of one he had worn way too many times.

"I see." Liam grabbed his jacket off the couch.

"I didn't mean-" Zayn threw up an arm to protest.

"I know what you meant." He took off up the stairs.

Zayn buried his face in his hands and let out a muffled groan. He slid his hands over his face and through his hair. "What the hell just happened?"

"I think you may have just got dumped." Louis broke the tension with humor like he always did. A formidable error.

"Great thanks, Lou." He gave him a disdainful look. "Were you here for a reason? Because I'd really like it if you weren't." Zayn's knees were bobbing and his chest was starting to heave.

"Mate, I didn't mean to give you guys a hard time. You just took me by surprise." Louis apologized.

"And you couldn't be a supportive friend for like two fucking seconds?" Zayn raised his voice at him.