The Hard Way

Louis had every intention of staying in his room tonight, turning off his phone, and pretending he was out with the friends he didn't have.

He walked downstairs in his sweats to grab some snacks before the party started. He entered his kitchen to find Anna snacking on the food Lottie had already put out on the island.

"What are you doing here?" He greeted the curly-haired girl. "Your mum let me in." She answered through a mouthful of crisps.

He couldn't tell if she was still mad at him or not.

"Is that what you're wearing tonight? You look like shit." She criticized in a loving way. Louis thought it was safe to assume she wasn't mad at him anymore.

"You know I'm not going tonight. I'm not doing this with you. I haven't changed my mind." Louis reminded her.

"I'm sorry for what I said. You were right. That's not the right way to do things." Louis' jaw almost dropped at the sight of Anna admitting she was wrong. "I decided not to go to the party." She came from around the island to meet him where he was standing.

"Louis," She sighed. "I think I made a mistake when i told you to keep going after Harry. I was blinded by my own desire to win over the affections of a girl who'd rather hang out with my back-stabbing best friends. I don't think it's good for you to spend your last year of high school pining over him. I think you should go to the party with the date I got for you. Do this for you. Nobody else. You deserve to be happy." She put a hand on his shoulder like she was consoling a child.

Louis looked at her with squinted eyes and a concerned expression. "Why do I have a really hard time believing you suddenly just changed your mind?" Louis crossed his arms.

"Because I'm just as stubborn as you." She smiled. "But I've seen the error of my ways. Think about it. We're never going to be able to be friends with those guys until you're over him. You gotta do it." Strangely enough, it made sense.

"Who is it?" Louis asked skeptically.

"J.D!" She gave him a pat on the back like that was something to be proud of.

Louis rolled his eyes and stuck out his hip. "I don't even like that guy."

"You like him just fine!" She argued. "You just don't want to date anyone that's not a tall dorky brunette with attachment issues. Even if there's nothing between you two, at least you can say you did it. You put yourself out there and the next time will be a little bit easier." Her voice was optimistic and Louis wanted her to keep that optimism.

Louis stared at his pushy friend with a straight face hoping she'd change her mind about this god awful plan but she didn't budge. "Fine." He rolled his eyes again.

"Great. Now go take a shower and then pick him up in an hour. I'll text you his address." She started gathering her things.

"Why do I have to pick him up?" He moaned.

"Because you're a gentleman." She pinched his cheeks before leaving.

Louis was just glad they were friends again, even if he knew this night would be a disaster.

***
"Do you want to get some dessert or something?" J.D asked as they stood together awkwardly in the kitchen.

He knew his sister set up the desserts she made in the living room. Even from where Louis was standing in the kitchen he could peer into the living room where he could see Harry's mop of curls against his sofa.

"Nah, we can just stay here." He sipped on his drink.

"Well, uh, we're not really gonna make him jealous from here." He seemed confused.