The 'Us' in Serious

*about a month and a half ago*

"Our last summer before our last year of school is almost..." Liam made a fading cloud with his hands. "Poof. Gone." His monotone voice and solemn expression bummed Louis out and Louis didn't want anything to ruin his high right now.

"You want to buck up there, Payno? You're starting to make Zayn look like the lively one." Zayn, lying on the couch beside him immediately punched him in the leg.

"I can't help it. I mean think about it, a year from now we may not even talk anymore." Liam took it to a very dark place.

"What are you on? Why wouldn't we talk to each other?" Louis sat up defensively.

"You know how it goes." Liam was vague and stared at the ceiling as if it had all the answers.

"Liam, my boy, are you doing okay over there?" Zayn tried to sit up but he couldn't move nearly as quickly as Louis could.

Liam chuckled. "Yeah, I'm not trying to be a buzzkill..." He tried to explain himself.

"Well, you're doing a shit job of it!" Louis continued to give him a hard time.

"Hey, let the man feel what he's feeling." Zayn pleaded with Louis.

"I'm too buzzed! Things are good lads. Happy days!" He tried to lift their spirits.

"He's just excited to see his boyfriend." Liam teased with an eye-roll.

They both mocked Louis with good intentions. Louis couldn't help but smile at the thought of his boy. He didn't even mind calling Harry his boyfriend, although he swore to his two best friends he'd never use the word. "Yeah, yeah laugh it up. Tommo the Tease met his match."

"Hey, you're the one who said and I quote 'Relationships are just a ploy to steal one's youth and beauty. Anybody who takes dating seriously at our age is a complete and total idiot and deserves the shit show they are inevitably walking into.'" Zayn quoted him verbatim. "I happen to think Harry is lovely, he's a good mate and he's actually perfect for you. I have no objections here, I just hope that you've changed your mindset and you know what you're getting yourself into." Zayn used his words cautiously and Louis appreciated it.

"Yeah, honestly. We're happy and the keyword is we're not taking it seriously. We're not going to be one those couples who ruin a good thing by turning it into something serious." Louis wasn't actually sure where he and Harry stood, but he was sure that Harry wasn't going to try and change him. He was still carefree Louis and that's what Harry loved the most about him.

"You talk a big game, Tommo, but I think this one's different." Liam insisted on pushing his buttons.

"It is what it is." Louis shook his head with a tight-lipped smile spread across his face.

"Niall texted. He's on his way with Harry." Zayn read through his messages.

Louis decided he should probably check his too.

On my way babe. miss me yet? :P

He couldn't hide the smile threatening to consume his face. How did he let such an absolute dork of a human under his skin?

Always darling. Do you want me to show you just how much?

He loved to get a rise out of Harry. He could only imagine his face when he got the text and how his cheeks were probably a bright pink.

You know me so well. :*

Louis had a mischievous grin as he put his phone back in his pocket. It wasn't his fault everything that boy did was endearing. How could he help himself?