Sweet Night

Taehyung flinched as another shot rang out. They were not an hour in. He wanted to desperately get some sleep but the constant sounds of the Purge kept on raging on and he couldn't fall asleep. 

Giving up, Taehyung sat up and glanced around the room seeing everybody sleep knocked out. The only one awake was Jungkook, who was on guard for the hour. He was cleaning his gun with a cloth. A small camping lamp was lit in front of him. He was silent and didn't notice Taehyung shuffling towards him.

He jumped slightly when Taehyung tapped him softly on the small of his back. Giving him a small smile, he scooted over on his sleeping bag so Taehyung could sit. Which he did. Hugging his pillow tightly. Neither spoke. Just in a comfortable silence. Another gunshot rang and Taehyung jumped.

"Can't sleep?" Jungkook asked softly, to which Taehyung nodded and shuffled nervously. He wanted to sleep in Jungkook's arms but was too shy to say so. So he just stared at Jungkook. The boy let out a small sigh and spread his arms out. Taehyung gaped in surprise.

"Um... sorry. I just thought- oh." Taehyung leaned over and placed his head in his lap. Both boys blushed fiercely. But Jungkook didn't question it and just started stroking Taehyung's hair. He thought it felt really nice and calming and felt himself dozing off. A few seconds before falling asleep, he suddenly thought of a question.

"Why do you always spend the Purge alone?" Taehyung asked softly. Jungkook's hand froze for a second, but he quickly relaxed and sighed. "No, it's okay if you don't want to tell me, after all I barely know you an-"

"I wouldn't call it spending." Jungkook chuckled quietly. Taehyung shut up. Listening intently. Jungkook took a deep breath in before continuing. "My parents were killed a few years ago. During the Purge. To save me." He added the last part in a whisper.

"They broke into our house, shot them... and left me for dead. The same man who killed them was the leader of the gang of the one who raped me and wanted me dead. I was trying to defend myself, really. Killing him was just a bonus. " Jungkook mumbled, mostly to himself, as if forgetting Taehyung was there. Silently listening to everything.

"Why'd my parents leave me? Did I do something wrong?" He asked himself, voice quavering slightly. Taehyung suddenly blinked. Was it raining? Did the roof leak? Then he realized... Jungkook was crying. His chest heaved with quiet sobs. Taehyung felt strange. They barely knew each other, yet the other had saved him and was not telling him about his past.

Taehyung felt a pang in his chest. He propped himself up and gently wiped the tears off Jungkook's face. They fell again. Taehyung kept on brushing them off. He wouldn't stop until Jungkook was happy again. Jungkook had noticed Taehyung's actions and his heart felt incredibly warm. He laughed quietly and tenderly took Taehyung's hands in his.

Taehyung was very nervous. His heart was beating uncontrollably fast and he couldn't do anything about it.

"Thank you Taehyung." He smiled at him through the dim light softly, still holding his hands. Taehyung's face flushed with color and he was about to pull away but Jungkook gripped his hands.

"Oh my god I accidentally touched your face without your consent I'm sorry I didn't know what I was doi-"

"It's okay Tae." His eyes widened at the nickname. He liked it but he also wanted to call Jungkook a nickname. His mind wandering off, he suddenly thought of cookies. It fit. Silently hyping himself up, he blurted it out.

"If you can call me Tae than can I call you Kookie?" There. He did it. Jungkook's heart swelled and he laughed, placing his hand on Taehyung's cheek.

"Of course. When this is over, do you want to hangout with me sometime?" Jungkook asked, Taehyung was surprised but he nodded. Cheeks flaming. "I'd love that..." He whispered shyly.

A soft sigh rang through the air, Jimin stirred awake. "Taehyungie, are you okay?" He mumbled, obviously still half asleep. Taehyung let out a small giggle.

"I'm okay Jiminie. Go back to sleep." Jimin nodded sleepily and curled back into Yoongi's chest.

"They're cute. I want someone to do that with..." Taehyung said wistfully. A gentle hand guided Taehyung's head back onto Jungkook's lap.

"Someday, you'll find someone." Jungkook bit his lip, fighting the urge to add that he wanted to be that person. His heart jumped when Taehyung looked up at him with sleepy but adoring eyes.

"Thanks..." He said softly, already almost asleep. Jungkook let out a small laugh.

"Go to sleep Tae."

"But what abou' you? Won't you be tired?" Taehyung pouted, looking up at him with puppy eyes. Jungkook's resolve loosened for a split second. And for a moment, he could imagine that they weren't in the Purge. That he wasn't afraid of dying every minute. He'd always survived alone. Other people were just liabilities. No offense to Jin.

But he was questioning his own morals. For sure, he did not want Kim Taehyung to die. There, he promised himself that he wouldn't let this extraordinary boy die. The boy who had listened and comforted him, and hadn't blamed him for killing his parents or other people. He was incredibly grateful for that.

"I'll be okay. I'll protect you okay?" He reassured, stroking Taehyung's hair again to help him fall asleep. Which seemed to be working, as the boy's eyelids started drooping.

"Okay..."

"Goodnight Tae."

"Mm... Goodnight Koo..." With that, the boy was out like a light. Jungkook couldn't help his curiosity. Was this what falling in love at first sight was? He hesitated. Was he moving too fast? Maybe Taehyung didn't even like him that way. But Taehyung nestled himself into his stomach and all his thoughts flew out the window. Unable to help himself, he leaned down and pressed a small kiss to Taehyung's forehead and spent the rest of his shift with a giddy feeling in his heart.

Aa there. A big Taekook chapter. More character development from here on out. Mostly with our Taekook couple. Anyways I just pulled an all nighter so Imma go sleep now. Peace.