Chapter 3.

Next morning Lisa was sitting at their meeting spot, an ordinary coffee bar just outside their school. She had been so anxious that she arrived half an hour early and was nervously waiting for Jennie, sipping coffee and rhythmically thumping her fingers on the table.

The whole thing was so utterly confusing, but at the same time irresistibly intriguing. Lisa couldn't remember anything from yesterday's classes, the entire afternoon was a blur. Her mind was occupied with thoughts about the mysterious brunette who so abruptly appeared in her life. Desperately yearning for a rational and logical explanation, she kept inventing different scenarios of how it was possible for her and Jennie to actually meet in her dreams. But none of it seemed convincing. No, there was definitely something... irrational about it. Maybe even... paranormal? Ugh, Lisa hated this word. Since she was a little girl, she was afraid of stories about supernatural forces, ghosts, spirits... One time after watching a youtube video about a haunted house, she couldn't sleep for a week. So, out of fear, she convinced herself that she didn't believe in all this stuff. Yeah, there must be a rational explanation behind all of it.

So why was she waiting for Jennie here, when she only told her about this meeting in the dream? It was a complete opposite of rationality, it was borderline insane. Lisa gritted her teeth. Shit, the idea that she wasn't such a logical person after all made her almost angry at herself.

She recalled her dream from tonight. As always when dreaming about Jennie, she felt understood and comforted. As if the petite brunette was sent from heaven to protect and care for her, her personal guardian angel.

Jennie appeared in her view at 9 am sharp, the exact hour of their meeting. Lisa was pleasantly surprised, she certainly could appreciate punctuality. Trying not to look too nervous, she waved at her and made an inviting gesture.

"Good morning, I wasn't sure if you'd come..."

"Hey Liz." Jennie even used an affectionate nickname although it was just the second time they met in real life. She dropped in the chair and ran her hand through her dark hair which looked surprisingly attractive. Lisa let herself admire for a second the striking features of the face in front of her. The features that seemed both cute and cold. Which one is it? She could bet everything that it was the first one. Yeah, she must definitely be a sweet girl. Pure fluff, Lisa was more than sure about it.

"We don't have much time so I'd appreciate if you listen carefully to what I say." Jennie seemed very direct.

"I still can't believe you really exist, I can't even began explaining how much it means to me when you appear in my dreams, how you support me in everyth-"

"I don't mean to be impolite, but could you stop blabbering? I need you to listen." Jennie interrupted her and Lisa could swear she saw a brief flash of impatience in her face.

"What? I only wanted to thank y-"

"Oh, just stop talking and listen, for the love of god." Jennie's rolled her eyes. Lisa froze. Was it really the same sweet girl with who she connected to so much in her dreams? Seemed more like a rude bitch.

"Why are you so..."

"Lisa, shut the hell up." Jennie's voice sounded like cold steel and Lisa finally fell silent, shocked and hurt. "Everything started a month ago when you played a basketball match in our school. You didn't see me, but I watched you play from the audience. Something about you made me instantly fascinated. I looked into your eyes and used my gift, I could feel your emotions at that moment. And what I experienced... disturbed me. I know everything about your feelings Lisa, all the shit you're going through inside."

"What are you talking about, I'm perfectly fine!" Lisa protested.

"Stop lying to me and to yourself." Jennie went on. "When you started high school, you were determined to go to medical college and become a doctor. Help people, cure them, treat them – it was your lifelong dream and you abandoned it."

A cold shiver ran through Lisa's spine and her face turned pale as she was faced with the hard-hitting truth. Because she knew it was the truth, although she made herself forget it for many years.

During the first months as a freshman, she was the best student in school, with a clear goal: get the highest grades to be able to apply for the best medical college. And then everything collapsed like a house of cards. The divorce of her parents happened and it made her lose the will to do anything. Her grades deteriorated rapidly, she began to party way too frequently and drink too much...

She knew that what Jennie said was true... but her unruly nature made her stay in denial.

"I don't care about that dream anymore, I'm happy with my life, I enjoy parties and I'm not ashamed of it. And not everyone needs to go to college, after school I'll find a job as a waitress or something." Lisa shrugged, pretending to be calm, but her stomach turned into a twisted knot and she barely could stop her body from shaking. She tried to look at Jennie, but had to turn her eyes away because brunette's gaze was piercing inside her very soul.

"Are you really so happy with your life? Then why do I feel that inside you're desperately crying for help?" she asked.

Lisa felt completely crushed. This girl appeared out of nowhere, knew all her secrets and suddenly confronted her with cold, hard truth. She thought she knew what to do with her life, but this strange girl made her realize that maybe she was wrong all along. She gulped.

"Why are you tormenting me?" she whispered. "What do you want from me?"

"You will stop being a lazy bitch and get your shit together. You will stop wasting your potential, start studying, improve your grades and apply for college. You will pursue your dream." Jennie spoke as if it was all already decided.

"What if I don't want to?"

"I'll make you do it." A hint of menace in Jennie's harsh voice made Lisa shiver in fear. She could swear she also saw a flash of lightning in her intimidating, feline eyes. Gosh, this girl was a like a fucking devil in disguise. But after a short moment of panic, Lisa's inner rebel took over. No! Hell no! No one had ever forced Lisa Manoban to do anything. And no one ever will.

"You can go to hell or wherever you came from." she growled, stood up and headed out, desperately wanting to be as far away as possible from the girl who just turned her whole life upside down.