Chapter 24.

"Oh my god I can't believe you talked to HIM!" Irene's high-pitched voice irritated Jennie a bit.

"To Jin?"

"Yeah!" Irene replied blinking excitedly, looking like a fangirl gossiping about her favorite idol. "You already talked at the party and now he came over to you again, what are you two up to?"

"That's private." Jennie's response was curt, but it didn't dissuade Irene from insisting.

"Oh, come on, you can tell me!" she pleaded.

"If I tell you, will you leave me alone?"

"Sure, just spill the tea already!"

"He asked me to come to his band's concert on Friday."

Irene's eyes widened as if she had seen a ghost. She put her hand on her chest, and started breathing deeply. Her reaction seemed so over-the-top that Jennie wasn't sure if her shock was fake or real.

"Oh... dear... god... That's the hottest news this year!" she exclaimed and Jennie rolled her eyes.

"Why?" she asked naively and immediately regretted her decision because there was nothing that Irene loved more that school gossip. She took Jennie by the arm and began yapping.

"You don't know who he is? He plays in a rock band! He's wildly popular, but apparently he's never had a girlfriend, which is, and this isn't just my personal opinion, a damn waste. I mean he's sooo handsome! Not to mention he's very cool too. Most girls would do anything to date him and those who wouldn't are probably just lesbians. I don't know why he doesn't take advantage of his popularity. His band members sleep around a lot and change their girlfriends every month or so, but not Jin. He's that mysterious, romantic guy that every girl dreams about! And you're going on a date with him!"

"Excuse me? It's not a date, he invited me to the concert, he'll be on stage. And I don't know if I'm even going to go-"

"What!? You can't be serious! It's like throwing away a winning lottery ticket! You just can't do that!" Irene was almost yelling and Jennie grew tired of her irritating voice.

"Oh, give me a break, you're making way too big deal out of this."

"Really? Okay, let's see." Irene approached three girls standing nearby, Jennie recognized them, they were Seulgi, Jeongyeon and Jihyo.

"Hi, can I ask your opinion about something?" Irene asked and Jennie became anxious, sensing what was about to happen.

"Yeah, sure, what is it?"

"Jin invited my friend to his concert on Friday and she says she's not going to go."

"What!? Really!?" Jeongyeon gasped.

"Seriously, he asked her to come to his concert? Who's the lucky girl?"

"Tell her she's crazy, I mean how could you even refuse him, he's absolutely gorgeous." judging by Jihyo's dreamy eyes, she was probably in the middle of imagining herself in Jin's arms.

"I'm so jealous." Jeongyeon frowned. "Seriously, if she's not going to go, it's like a slap on the face to all girls in school."

"Thanks, I told her the same thing. But I can't say who she is." Irene ended the conversation.

"See what I meant?" she asked when they moved away from the group.

"Okay, you made your point, he's popular with girls. But I still don't see why I should feel obliged to go. Anyway, my class is starting, see you later." Jennie excused herself. Damn, what did she get herself into this time? She talked to one guy at the party and of course he had to be the heartthrob of all girls in school. Last thing she needed at the moment was some high school drama, no, definitely she won't go.

But then she began to hesitate. As much as she didn't want to admit it, it felt good that such a popular guy invited her to the concert. From so many girls, he took interest in her – maybe it was a stupid thing to be flattered about, but still... And she had to admit that she instinctively liked him, he didn't seem like other boys, immature and basic. No, there was something about him that was just attractive. Maybe his mysterious vibe or his sincerity, Jennie wasn't sure. "Perhaps it's my chance to be more like a normal girl." she thought hopefully. Just as this thought entered her mind, a voice in her head laughed cruelly.

"Stupid girl, stop kidding yourself! You're not normal and never will be! When he gets to know who you really are, you'll just scare him away!"

"Shut up!" Jennie yelled inside, but she knew that the damn voice was speaking the truth. Sighing resignedly, she decided not to go. That was final. There was simply no point in trying, a guy like Jin would never accept her for who she was...

***

Despite Jennie being determined not to go to the concert, fate had other plans. At the end of the school day, Jisoo came over to her with an imploring expression.

"Hi, Jennie, I have a favor to ask. Could you come with me to the concert on Friday? I don't want to go alone, it would be too awkward."

"What about Rosé? Or Lisa?" The brunette tried to get out of it.

"Lisa is studying and Rosé had other plans. Please Jennie, I'm a huge fan of the band, I don't want to miss it!" Jisoo made the most irresistible pleading face that Jennie had ever seen.

"I don't know..." she hesitated. Jisoo was always so kind to her and she was Lisa's friend... And besides, if she went with Jisoo, it would be like accompanying a friend and not just accepting invitation from Jin... "Okay, fine, I'll go." she finally agreed.

"Yay, thanks!" Jisoo exclaimed joyfully. "I'm sure we'll have fun! The band is so good, you'll see! Maybe you'll even become a fan yourself. Anyway, it starts at 7 pm this Friday, don't forget!"

"Don't worry, I'll be there."

"Yay!" Jisoo exclaimed a second time and hurried away, jumping excitedly from time to time like a happy child.

Jennie was gazing after her with a longing look in her eyes. "I wish I could be this happy." the sad thought passed through her mind. But her sadness didn't last long because for the first time in her life she didn't consider it to be entirely impossible.