Chapter 27.

Lisa promised herself that apologizing to Jennie would be the first thing she'd do after arriving at school, but it just wasn't meant to be. Just as she passed through main door, she noticed a commotion in front of her.

She noticed Yeri and Mina standing nearby and asked: "What's happening?"

"Apparently someone vandalized the cafeteria. Nothing too serious, some minor damage like broken plates and cups, tables and chairs tipped over, cutlery and trays scattered around on the floor..." Yeri explained.

"They're looking into it. It was discovered on Monday morning, but apparently it happened on Friday after the concert." Mina's comment made Lisa's face turn pale. She immediately thought of Jennie. Could it have been her? After the kiss... did she get mad and have a blackout again? It was certainly possible and Lisa shivered in fear. One more reason to find Jennie as quickly as possible and explain it all. She promptly excused herself, looking around for the brunette with feline eyes. But instead Jisoo and Rosé caught her attention, they were walking together and the smiles on their faces clearly showed that they patched things up. Seeing them so joyful made Lisa happy for them. Then she felt hopeful that she and Jennie would reconcile too.

Lisa went through both first and second floor and there was no sight of the brunette anywhere. Damn it Jennie, where are you! Maybe in the bathroom! Lisa picked up the pace and entered inside. She leaned down and checked the stalls... Her heart stopped when she recognized Jennie's shoes in the last stall.

"Jennie, is that you?"

"No." Jennie's voice sounded dead serious. In other circumstances Lisa would no doubt find it hilarious.

"Come out please, I really need to talk to you, I want to apologize to you." Lisa said, but silence was the only answer. "Please?" she repeated softly.

"I don't want to talk right now. Why do you think I'm in here? I hid from you." Jennie replied from inside the stall. She didn't seem angry, just sad.

"Jen, does our friendship mean nothing to you? You won't even give me a minute to explain? After all we've been through?"

Another minute of silence, but Lisa waited patiently. Then she heard the lock turn and Jennie came out, her gaze fixed on the floor, as if she deliberately didn't want to look at her friend.

Lisa's mind went completely blank. She practiced her apology a thousand times in her mind and yet she was speechless. Like a statue, she just stood motionlessly, paralyzed, her heart beating so fast that she couldn't even gather her thoughts. "Damn it Lisa, focus for god's sake!" her mind tried to get control of her body. Tired of waiting, Jennie moved around her and headed towards the exit without saying a single word.

"Wait, please!" Lisa caught up to her on the corridor. She grabbed her arm, making the brunette turn around. But Lisa still couldn't say anything, overcome with the paralyzing fear, feeling the dryness in her throat and the loud thumping in the chest.

"You have a strange way of apologizing." Jennie commented coldly. "Just so you know, I blacked out on Friday after the concert. I don't even remember how I got home. So that mess in the cafeteria... it was probably me."

"I know and you have every right to be mad at me. It's all my fault." Lisa finally regained her ability to speak. "I'm really sorry for what I did, I should've never take advantage of the situation like that. I just lost control of myself because..."

No, there was no way she could say it. It was just too damn hard. Her brain was just stopping when she wanted to confess her feelings.

"Because what?" Jennie asked sadly. "You thought it would be fun to kiss a freak? Maybe I'm just some sort of a challenge for you? You grew tired of being with normal girls so you just liked the idea of seducing the weirdest girl in school? So that you could brag about it to your friends? Or just to boost your ego?"

Each word was like a tiny dagger which pierced Lisa's aching heart. The injustice of it hurt the most, she couldn't believe that Jennie would think that of her.

"I swear it's not like that-"

"Then what is it, huh? Tell me."

"I'm..." the fear paralyzed Lisa's throat, her voice broke and she simply wasn't able to continue speaking.

"See? You can't even come up with a good lie." the disappointment and sadness in Jennie's voice made Lisa feel as if someone stabbed her chest with a knife. Wincing from pain, she stopped the incoming tears with sheer willpower. It was overwhelming, but also liberating. She had nothing to lose now. With a swift motion, she took Jennie's hand before she could protest and squeezed it gently. Then she looked her in the eyes and whispered:

"I think I'm falling in love with you."

Jennie's eyes widened for a split second, but then the disappointed look came right back to her face.

"You can't possibly think that I'd believe that? I expected a lie, just not such a stupid one." Lisa's mouth dropped in disbelief. When she had prepared for her talk with Jennie, she had concentrated on getting enough courage to confess her feelings. But in her worst nightmares she didn't expect that Jennie wouldn't believe her.

"Jen, it's the truth, use your power, look me in the eyes and feel it-"

"No! I don't want to." Jennie tried to remove her hand from Lisa's grip, but the blonde held it firmly. "Lisa, let go of me. Don't make a scene."

"Please, you have to believe me-"

"Is she bothering you?" A male voice interrupted and Lisa recognized Jin. Of-fucking-course, he had to appear in the worst possible moment. She reluctantly let go of Jennie's hand.

"Come on, I'll walk you to class." Jin said to Jennie, she nodded and they strolled away together. Lisa thought that she already experienced the worst pain that day, but watching them walking side by side was far worse. Like the worst possible torture. Crushed and defeated, she looked at the door to her class. Sitting in school for the next several hours? No, fuck it, she didn't have enough strength for that. She slowly turned around and dragged her feet towards the exit. All she wanted was to go home and cry.