Chapter 22.

"Why don't we go downstairs dance a little bit?" Jimin's suggestion made everyone nod in agreement and get up eagerly.

"Yeah, good idea, let's have some fun!" Mina excitedly rocked her hips. One by one they headed out, until Lisa and Jennie were left alone. The brunette felt comfortable in the room and didn't really want to leave. Downstairs seemed like a wild, chaotic world where she didn't fit in. A world which was scary and frightening. But... She glanced at Lisa: she knew that her friend would love to go dancing and only stayed because of her. Summoning her inner courage, Jennie rose to her feet.

"You're going?" Lisa asked and immediately scolded herself in her mind for sounding so surprised.

"But I won't dance." Jennie said and went to the door.

"Wait!"

With a soft look on her face, Lisa approached the brunette and hugged her. It was a bit awkward, because Jennie's body didn't respond to the hug, it was completely rigid, but Lisa didn't mind. "Thanks for the presents... and for being so thoughtful." she let go, smiled and went out. Jennie followed her mindlessly, shaken a little. The hug was so unexpected that she didn't have time to protest and when it happened... The closeness and friendly touch was something that she hasn't felt in a long, long time. And she had to admit that it made her feel good. So good that it almost paralyzed her.

She experienced so many new things today. Almost too much for one day, it was dangerously overwhelming, she suddenly felt whizzing in her ears and accelerated heartbeat. She paused in the doorway, and held to the door frame trying not to fall down.

"Everything's fine?" Lisa looked back, worried.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." Jennie replied, took a deep breath and diligently went after her.

The music blasting from the speakers in the living room made Jennie flinch, she wasn't used to it, she could barely hear herself think.

"Go dance, I'll just... sit here." she said to Lisa, who was watching her undecidedly. "Don't worry about me Lisa, I'll be fine, go have fun!" Jennie deliberately made her voice sound stronger. Happy to see that the blonde excitedly hurried to her dancing friends, she let out of a sigh of relief and sat down in the nearby chair. She finally had a moment to gather her thoughts-

"Mind if I join you here?" Jennie looked up and saw a handsome boy with a friendly-looking face. Wait, she knew this guy from somewhere... "I'd prefer to be alone, sorry." she almost said, but bit her tongue recalling Lisa's words about being nicer to people. So she just shook her head and the boy sat next to her.

"You don't look like you're enjoying the party very much." he said and Jennie almost rolled her eyes. Another "why-aren't-you-smiling" talk, just fucking great. But to her surprise, the conversation didn't go that way.

"To be honest, it's not my kind of party either."

"Why not?" Jennie forced herself to keep being polite.

"Too crowded, too loud, too many drunk people. And this disco music... not really my kind of thing."

"Yeah, it sucks."

"You're bold, I like that." He smiled. "So what kind of music do you listen to?"

Jennie wasn't ready yet to open up to a complete stranger just like that.

"You first." she replied, hoping that he wouldn't get mad at her for avoiding the question. He didn't.

"Oh, so you're not only bold, but mysterious too." he chuckled. "Damn, you're dangerously close to my ideal type." Jennie's awkwardness rose seeing his eyes lingering on her face. She shifted nervously and he noticed it and turned his gaze away. "At least he can take hints." Jennie thought thankfully.

"I'm an avid rock fan myself." he went on. "Guitar sound is what I'm living for. My name is Jin by the way."

At then Jennie suddenly realized why she knew his face. He was a guitar player in one of school's bands, their posters were all over the school because of their incoming concert. For the fist time Jennie looked at him with genuine interest. She valued and admired people who had a passion, especially artistic one.

He talked for awhile about the bands he liked, while Jennie mostly listened, responding only from time to time, just enough not to appear too impolite or disinterested. It would be a lie to say that she relaxed completely, but at least she felt partly at ease.

In the middle of their conversation she saw Lisa coming over. Jennie was surprised to notice a really weird expression on her face, she couldn't quite decipher it, she had never seen Lisa like that before.

"Are you okay there Jen?" the blonde asked and Jennie realized that her friend was just checking up on her. So sweet of Lisa to do that.

"I'm fine, thanks." she assured, sending Lisa a thankful glance. The blonde nodded and returned to dancing. Jennie was suddenly struck with a strange thought: she was in the middle of a teenage party, talking to a random guy she didn't even know and... she felt fine.

She really felt fine. No crippling anxiety, no paralyzing stress, no misery... Realizing this made her feel weird, but pleasantly weird. If she had to compare this feeling to something, it would be like overcoming a stage fright. She was like an artist who for the first time didn't feel anxiety or fear when going on stage, in front of the audience.

The friendly chat between her and Jin continued to flow smoothly from that point, when something in the distance, behind Jin's shoulder, caught her attention.

And not just Jennie was suddenly captivated, most people in the room turned her heads to Lisa, who turned into a real dance goddess. Before she had just been dancing playfully with friends, like a regular teenage girl, but now... Now she had become a... mesmerizing temptress, there was no better description for it. Her body was emanating with seduction, her hips were doing wonders. Jennie wasn't an expert on dance, but to her Lisa was looking pretty good. And by pretty good, she really meant amazing. Then Jimin joined her, he was an equally great dancer and together they rocked the dance even more, some people even started applauding them when the hot duo moved their bodies in a sensual way, rubbing them against each other from time to time. Observing how Jimin's hands were grazing against Lisa's thighs, Jennie gulped and it made her suddenly realize that she wasn't even listening to Jin anymore. Her attention went back to him just in time to hear his question:

"I like that you're one of these girls who actually can listen. But maybe you could tell me more about yourself? Do you like the rocky vibe too?"

"I'm sorry, Jin, I..." she stumbled over her words. "It's just too hot in here-"

"I'll get you some water-"

"No, I think I'm going to go. I'm sorry I'm leaving like that, don't be mad, I just don't feel well."

"It's okay. I hope we can talk again sometime." he replied and Jennie was relieved that he seemed just surprised, not angry or disappointed.

Once outside, Jennie's body cooled down a bit. She called a taxi and while she was patiently waiting for it, she wondered if maybe she should have said goodbye to Lisa before leaving. Damn it, of course she should have. She directed her steps back to the house, when Lisa went out and they met halfway.

"You're leaving already?" What was that in Lisa's voice? Concern? Or disappointment?

"Lisa, my plan was to be here just for half and hour or so... I can't believe I survived full four hours at a party, surrounded by people. But I feel I don't have strength for more, it was a big step for me."

"I understand." Lisa said and noticed the taxi arriving. She was visibly holding back saying more.

"See you tomorrow." Jennie walked to the car.

"Jennie?" Lisa finally said.

"Yes?"

"This will sound corny but... I know it wasn't easy... I mean... what I want to say is... You should be proud of what you accomplished today. I know I'm proud of you."

Jennie's lips were trembling when she got inside the car and gave the address to the driver. Then the car pulled away and she couldn't hold it in anymore, she let herself cry, deeply moved by Lisa's touching words which were still echoing in her mind.