Chapter 31.

While arriving to Irene's karaoke night in Jin's car, Jennie desperately prayed in her mind that Lisa wouldn't be there. Not because she didn't want to see Lisa, no, there was another reason. A motive that she had trouble admitting to herself. Deep inside her an annoying feeling was lingering: she didn't want Lisa to see her with Jin. And although Jennie tried all the tricks in her mind to convince herself that it wasn't the case, she finally had to give up. She had no clue what sparked this feeling inside her, but she could no longer pretend it wasn't there.

Unfortunately for her, Lisa was already waiting at Irene's. Despite having decided a million times that she wouldn't come, she changed her mind in the last minute. Of course the perspective of seeing Jennie with Jin was making her stomach turn, but it was still better than staying at home and imagining them together. At least while being there she would be able to watch them.

"Oh my god, they're here!" Irene exclaimed. "I can't believe the hottest new couple in school is coming to my party on their first date!"

Lisa winced, suppressing the urge to tell Irene to shut the hell up. There were so many wrong things with this sentence. First, they weren't even a couple. And second, it wasn't a real date. At least that's what Lisa kept telling herself to not go completely crazy.

The karaoke was a lot of fun, people were of course singing, some were really good, some laughingly bad, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. Except for Lisa, who didn't even listen to the music, intently observing Jennie and Jin. She watched and analyzed their every glance, every touch, every smile. And she didn't like what she was seeing one bit. Jennie was more and more relaxed and more receptive to his touch, which in turn allowed him to be bolder. Suddenly Lisa saw red when she noticed that Jin moved closer to Jennie, so that their shoulders were touching. Shit, she could no longer see their hands from behind, what were they doing?

"What's wrong Liz, why so nervous?" Seulgi whispered, making Lisa jump.

"Nothing's wrong." the tone of the response was very cold and sharp. Lisa immediately regretted being this curt, but it was too late, Seulgi backed off, visibly upset.

Meanwhile Jeongyeon finished singing, earning a round of applause and Irene took the microphone.

"Who's next?" she looked around. "Come on, don't be shy. Maybe Lisa?" she asked encouragingly, waving the microphone.

"No, not today." the Thai firmly refused. She was in no mood for singing, that's for sure.

"But you sang last year and you were really great! Please?" Irene insisted, but Lisa kept shaking her head. When everyone lost hope that Lisa would change her mind, someone said softly:

"I didn't know you could sing..."

Lisa trembled realizing it was Jennie's voice. Surprised that Jennie would even talk to her, she glanced at her for a moment, but quickly looked down. She still felt guilty about what happened and couldn't bear the stare of the dark feline eyes.

"Okay, I'll do it." she said reluctantly, standing up.

"Great!" Irene exclaimed. "What will you sing? Something powerful and swaggy I'm guessing?"

"No... I'd prefer something else... like a ballad."

"A ballad? You? Are you sure? But okay, suit yourself."

Lisa looked at the list of songs and it didn't take her much time to choose "Shallow" by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

"But it's a duet..." Irene said.

"Maybe I could sing it with you?" Jin asked and Lisa looked at him fiercely.

"No, I can do both parts, thanks." she answered in an unusually hostile voice, earning a few surprised looks from the audience. It became clear that there was some sort of tension between them and other students began to watch them more closely. Lisa started singing, her voice trembling at first, either from stage fright or the fact that Jennie's eyes were fixed at her.

"Tell me somethin', girl

Are you happy in this modern world?

Or do you need more?

Is there somethin' else you're searchin' for?"

After the first part, Lisa's anxiety subsided. Her eyes were closed, she had an image of Jennie in her mind, she was singing for her. To her. She reached inside her soul and used her feelings for Jennie to fill her voice with emotion.

"I'm falling

In all the good times I find myself

Longing for a change

And in the bad times I fear myself

I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in

I'll never meet the ground

Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us

We're far from the shallow now"

Everyone listened to her in dead silence, their mouths agape, feeling that the song was overflowing with true feelings. Some eyes even glistened with tears. No one had ever seen this soft side of Lisa before. Jennie was mesmerized too, she didn't move a finger during the entire song, as if she didn't want to miss a single note. When Lisa finished, everyone started applauding her and Jennie raised her hands to clap too. But then she remembered that she still hadn't forgiven Lisa and awkwardly put her hands down again.

"That was so moving."

"I swear I almost cried."

"I didn't know this Lisa." People were complimenting her as she shyly went back to her place.

"Can I go next?" Jin stood up and already some girls squealed with excitement.

"Of course." Irene stammered out and almost dropped the microphone when she was handing it to him.

Jin chose a love ballad too, he sang beautifully, although perhaps not as emotionally as Lisa. But the applause was louder, mostly because half the girls in the room had a secret crush on him. A quick break was then suggested by Irene and Jennie excused herself and went to the bathroom.