Chapter 30.

Lisa's heart almost jumped out of her chest when she saw Jennie's name appear on her phone's screen. Her excitement quickly turned to fear, as she realized that Jennie might be calling to yell at her even more. With her hands shaking, she accepted the call.

"Yes?" she asked awkwardly, expecting the worst.

"I'm calling because..." two seconds of silence followed. Then Jennie cleared her throat and continued. "I'm calling because I want you to know that... I'm still mad at you but... but what we had planned together is more important. So despite what happened, I'll keep helping you to study and to achieve your goal."

"Thank you Jen, I don't know what to say-" Lisa mumbled, too surprised to think clearly.

"So we can meet and talk about your studies if you want. I guess it will be alright as long as we keep things between us strictly... professional."

"Sure, I can do that-"

"I have to go. Bye." Jennie abruptly ended the call. Lisa's legs felt shaky and she fell on the bed. She took Louis in her hands, remembering that it was Jennie's idea to give it this beautiful kitty to her, and started caressing him. The warmth emanating from its furry body calmed her down. So Jennie was willing to at least talk to her. Good. It was a small step, a tiny one, but definitely a step in the good direction.

***

The next day they decided to meet in the library to discuss Lisa's progress.

"Remember, I don't want to talk about anything that isn't related to your studies." was the first thing that Jennie said. Lisa just nodded in agreement.

"So how are you doing with improving your grades?" Jennie asked and Lisa couldn't help noticing that her interest was genuine.

"I think I can say it's going pretty well, I study a lot these days, even on the weekends... I try to keep up with your schedule."

"Good. I know... I know you work hard." Jennie suddenly felt weird about complimenting Lisa so she quickly changed the topic. "And what about chemistry, you have an exam this week, right?"

"Chemistry is not a problem, I'm well prepared. I did all the exercises from the book you gave me, you know. It helped a lot. Thanks."

Jennie nodded and Lisa couldn't help thinking how awkward that conversation was. They talked like business associates and not friends. But there was nothing she could do about it.

"I may have a hard time getting better grades in biology though. But it's not my fault, it's just that Mr. Yang hates me. I think in sophomore year I kind of told him once that his classes were boring."

"What? Why didn't you tell me about this before?" Jennie asked. "We could have thought of a different strategy!"

"Like what?"

"I'll think of something soon, don't worry."

They both fell silent for a moment.

"Okay, if that's all, I'm going to go." Jennie prepared to leave.

"Wait, can you tell me... how are you? How's your health?" Lisa asked, concerned.

"Lisa, that's not related to the studies-"

"I know, but please, just tell me this one thing. I'm worried about you."

Jennie looked at her hesitantly.

"Okay, if you want to know, I didn't have any health problems since the day you kis-" she blushed. "Since that Friday. I think the reason is that I'm starting to feel accepted in school, I think I'm making progress in socializing with people. I'm not so anxious and stressed anymore."

Despite her best efforts to hide it, it was clear that the news made Lisa incredibly relieved and happy. Her face brightened up like light bulb. Jennie continued:

"I suspect that it's because of Jin. Everything changed when I met him. He has treated me so well, and since he's so popular other people followed his example. So I guess I should be grateful to him."

Lisa's heart stopped beating. She desperately wanted to scream: "No, it's not because of him, it's me!!! I'm doing everything in my power to make you happy, to make people like you!!!" But she was too proud to tell Jennie that. No, as much as it hurt, she couldn't reveal the truth. Fighting the growing pain, Lisa kept repeating to herself: "I just want her to be happy, even if she thinks it's because of Jin. I don't need her recognition. My pain doesn't matter, only her happiness does. Nothing else matters. Nothing else."

She believed it with all her heart but it still hurt. A lot. She mumbled something incoherently and excused herself, she just couldn't endure to spend another second with Jennie. It was just too painful.

***

Working tirelessly to improve Jennie's image among school students had become like an obsession for Lisa. She talked to everyone she knew, every day, whenever she had the chance she was spreading positive comments about her friend. And it wasn't some simple propaganda, she was subtly dropping hints here and there during her conversations which made Jennie look good. She was not only emphasizing Jennie's virtues, but was also casually mentioning her difficult past, earning her sympathy points among students. Chaesoo were also helping Lisa a lot and already after a week their actions brought fruits. People were already looking at Jennie more favorably after Lisa's famous letter, but now it went even further. No one was afraid of her anymore, and even if some nasty gossips about her being weird still lingered around, no one really believed them anymore. On the contrary, there were some who started to admire her for being so brave considering how difficult her life had been. Everyone still saw her as shy, quiet and introverted, but it no longer bothered anyone. Jennie was finally UNDERSTOOD. And understanding brought acceptance.