Chapter 5

The next morning on the way to the Banks' house for brunch, I applied some nude lipstick on my lips in the mirror to match my nude plaid dress while I wore plain black flats and my hair was pinned back by a black barrette.

"Stop fussing." My mom looked over at me while diving the car.

"I'm not fussing, mom," Rolling my eyes I closed the mirror and flipped up the panel of the sun visor. "You know how I want to look my best in front of Phil and Juliet Banks." I then fluffed my hair.

When we arrived at the Banks house, there were a few cars parked in the driveway and three on the street. My mom also parked her car in the street since there wasn't any room in the driveway. When we got out of the car, I went into the back and grabbed the breakfast casserole carrying it in my hands, up the driveway.

My mom looked around, "Where are we supposed to go?"

Hearing chatter coming from the backyard, I gestured my head towards it, "I think the backyard." The two of us went into the backyard, my mom opened the gate for me. There were a lot of adults in the yard. Then I noticed the Banks family talking to an older couple, drinking mimosas in champagne glasses while Banksie drank his orange juice in his champagne glass. Juliet turned to us, she elbowed her husband lightly before they excused themselves with the other couple, walking over to us.

Juliet came over smiling, "Vicki! I'm so happy you and your mother could make it!"

Phil took the breakfast casserole from my hands, I turned to Banksie and we pulled each other in an embrace, "Mm, you look nice." I mumbled in his ear.

"So do you, Coach." He mumbled. We then broke away to find Phil introducing Juliet to my mom.

"It's so nice to meet you, Juliet." The two shook hands, smiling.

"Thank you, it's a pleasure to meet you too," She then took a sip of her mimosa. "Your daughter is an absolute dream! She is wonderful!" Juliet then looked over at me and fixed her blonde hair.

My mom turned her head to look at me, "Well she is an extraordinary girl." I smiled at her comment before Banksie led me away and grabbed me a champagne glass full of orange juice.

"Thank you," I smiled while taking the glass. The two of us sipped our drinks at the same time. "Did you start packing yet?" I asked, putting the stem of the glass in between my fingers.

Banksie scoffed, "No," He then shook his head before taking another sip. "Why, let me guess you started packing."

I chuckled, almost spilling my orange juice, "Hell no," I whispered. "I already feel homesick even though I haven't left home yet."

Banksie wrapped his arm around my shoulder, sipping his orange juice from his champagne glass, "It's ok Vicki, I understand," His voice was soft, then I leaned my head on his shoulder. "We'll be alright."

"I'll cheer to that," The two of us raised our glasses. "Here's to us being able to understand each other and our trip to LA."

Banksie smirked, "Cheers." We then clinked glasses together and sipped in unison.

I then looked around his backyard which was buzzing with chatter, "Now if we were invited to brunch, who are all these people?"

Banksie then finished his orange juice, "Well most of these are good friends of my parents and my grandparents." He gestured to the older couple the family was talking to when I arrived.

"Ah, I see so it's a farewell party for Banksie." Nodding, I took another sip of my orange juice.

"And you," Banksie added, wrapping his arm around mine as he led me away.