Chapter 8

The next day, the team had a press meeting at the coliseum, so I decided to look my best for the camera. I was wearing that black Team USA zip down Polo shirt with the matching Polo shorts, white belt, and the specialty sneakers. Coach was wearing his tan sport coat which complimented his hair and skin color while the team wore their tracksuits and Hendrix baseball caps.

Coach and I stood next to each other while the team was chatting to each other off to the side where the paparazzi and journalists were anxiously waiting in front of the stage to ask us questions.

Coach was nervously smoothing out his jacket and running his fingers through his hair. I couldn't help but watch him as he stressed out while I stood there, "Coach," I spoke out softly, making him look up at me. "You're fine, ya shouldn't be worrying," I then paused. "That's my job to worry."

Coach then cracked a smile, taking his hands off his sport coat. Mr. Tibbles came walking up to us, looking at his watch. The team then went silent when he approached, "Everyone ready?" He smiled.

"I think so." Coach said with a hint of uncertainty in his voice before looking back and forth behind him.

"Ok then, let's get this show on the road," Mr. Tibbles nodded before walking up to the stage and standing at the podium. "Ladies and gentlemen, Team USA hockey and the man and young lady chosen to lead them to the gold," He paused as we waited for our cue. "Coach Gordon Bombay and Junior Assistant Coach Victoria Reed," Smiling, all of us took the stage next to Mr. Tibbles as the paparazzi and journalists applauded us. In the crowd, I even saw Miss McKay smiling and cheering us on discretely. "Let's get the Hendrix Bear up here!" Mr. Tibbles waved his hand. "This is Henry the Hendrix Bear."

A giant white polar bear with a Hendrix jersey and sunglasses came running up to the stage, "Hello everybody!" He waved his big white furry paw before coming up to us.

"Guys, I want you to get some shots with the bear," Mr. Tibbles squeezed in the middle of Coach and I while the Hendrix bear was at my side with the team all squeezed in. "Big wave! Big wave! Smile and wave to everyone!" He said while still smiling and waving.

Smiling widely, I waved to everyone, turning from side to side, looking at each camera flash, "Hello everybody! It's great to be here!" The Hendrix bear waved his paw to everyone before wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"We got it?" Mr. Tibbles asked the audience, someone then gave him a thumbs up from behind a camera. "Great," He smiled, The Hendrix bear stepped off the stage. "Let's open it up to questions." He nodded before stepping off the stage, sitting next to Miss McKay who smiled at me, making me feel more comfortable.

Everyone in the audience stood up, all speaking and yelling at once. Coach pointed to a blonde lady towards the front, "Yes, you miss."

She remained standing while everyone else sat down, "Team USA, how does it feel competing in Los Angeles on an international level?"

I was at a loss for words, "Um."

Charlie and Goldberg then pushed through to get to the mic, "Feels good!" Charlie smiled.

"Love it!" Goldberg fixed his hat on his head.

Then the audience stood up again, yelling questions at us at the same time, making me chuckle from anxiety and stress, Coach elbowed me to let me pick someone. I picked an older brunette lady off to the side, then everyone sat down except her, "Coach Bombay and Coach Reed, the Vikings from Iceland are the heavy favorites, their coach has already guaranteed victory, how are you gonna handle them?"

 I picked an older brunette lady off to the side, then everyone sat down except her, "Coach Bombay and Coach Reed, the Vikings from Iceland are the heavy favorites, their coach has already guaranteed victory, how are you gonna handle them?"