43: Nightmares and Daydreams✨

Warning: triggering scene ahead. If that affects you in anyway, pls skip this chapter and wait for the next update/chapter.

This is a very important scene and i want y'all to get into Asa's head and understand a bit more abt traumatic past.♥︎

Asa

There were monsters in my room that night.

But these monsters were different. So different from the monsters I was used to.

If I had known that night, that they were there to help me... To warn me, I would have stayed put and befriended them...

But I didn't... I didn't know.

I crawled unto my bed, hugging my pillow to me, whimpering as lightening flashed and thunder clapped outside, sending waves of fear and terror, zapping through my soul and I shivered again, burying my face in my hands.

What is wrong with me? I asked myself. I usually like the rain. What is going on?

The rain felt like a strange warning... Of bad things about to happen. Very bad things.

Deciding, I had done enough cowering, I crawled out of bed, my nightgown, pooling at my feet and walked out of my room, hugging my pillow to my chest and trembling in trepidation.

Reaching the door to my brother's room, I gulped, rethinking the whole thing.

Brandel hated being woken up from sleep and I have seen him snap uncontrollably, sometimes, striking the maids that were unlucky enough to have to wake him up for school.

He had moods. Bad moods. Where he lashed out at everyone and everything and became the devil.

But another thunder clapped and I screamed and knocked rapidly without thinking.

"Bran? Brandel, please, open up!" I shrieked, feeling like there were things lurking in the shadows about to hurt me.

The door opened a second sooner than i thought it would, revealing the handsome but irritated face of my older brother.

But, he must have seen the terrified look in my eyes because he suddenly sobered up, concern, replacing his irritated look. "Asa! What is it?"

I was too ashamed to admit it out loud, so I whispered, shivering. "I'm scared, Bran."

His face softened. "Come here," he cooed, pulling me into his arms. His hug was warm. Soft. Safe.

Just like him.

"Can I sleep here? I can't go back in there. Please?"

"Sure, Asa." He muttered into my hair.

Releasing me from the hug, he draped an arm over my shoulder and guided me back to his bed.

"You know the drill. Stick to your side and keep your feet away from my face. They stink."

We were lying in his bed now, my back to him, but I turned to face him at his stupid statement.