Chapter 1.8: Rise Up

Teams RWBYS and JNPR are in combat class. In the arena is Jaune and Cardin Winchester. Stygian winces when Cardin sends Jaune flying. Jaune then charges Cardin again and swings his sword down, only to be blocked by Cardin. Cardin then knees Jaune in the stomach, causing the leader of team JNPR to collapse. Cardin raises his mace to bring it down on Jaune, only for a buzzer to go off that signifies the end of the match.

Goodwitch: Cardin, that's enough. 

Cardin stops mid-swing and lowers his weapon, before walking over to one side of the arena.

Goodwitch: Students, as you can see Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match.

At this point, Jaune as managed to sit up.

Goodwitch: Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to you scroll during combat. Gauging your aura will help you to decide when it is appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up like a Beowolf, now would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself.

Cardin walks away. Goodwitch goes back to addressing the entire class.

Goodwitch: Remember everyone! The Vytal Festival is only a few months away. It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing!

Team RWBYS show various levels of excitement upon hearing this. Yang starts punching the air. Weiss shows barely restrained excitement. Blake stays stoic. Ruby squeals. And Stygian smirks.

Goodwitch: Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale.

The bell rings, signifying the end of class, and the students start leaving.

Timeskip(brought to you by Stygian sparring with Ruby)

Nora: So... there we were... in the middle of the night.

Ren: It was day.

Teams RWBYS and JNPR are in the mess hall. Yang is paying close attention to Nora, who is telling a story. Ren is sitting next to Nora and correcting her exaggerations. Pyrrha and Ruby are half-listening to Nora's story. Blake is reading a book. Weiss is filing her nails. Jaune is moping. And Stygian is petting Fenrir, who is curled up next to Stygian.

Nora: We were surrounded by Ursai.

Ren: They were Beowolves.

Nora(standing up): Dozens of them!

Ren: Two of them.

Nora: But they were no match. And in the end... Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!

Nora sits back down as she finishes her story.

Ren: She's been having this reoccurring dream for nearly a month now.

Pyrrha: Jaune, are you okay?

Jaune: Huh? Oh, yeah. Why?

Ruby: It's just that you seem a little...

Stygian: "Not okay."

At this point, the rest of the group has turned their attention to Jaune.

Jaune: Guys, I'm fine. Seriously, look!

Jaune forces a smile, gives a thumbs up, and nervously laughs. Stygian gives Jaune an unconvinced look.