Chapter 2.4: Dangerous

Ruby had been worried and scared for her twin when she saw him run Torchwick through with Chaos. She had been even more worried when he didn't return to his dorm until midnight, Neo had messaged Ruby that bit of information. Ruby felt slightly better the next morning when Stygian didn't look like he was about to hide in a corner any second.

It's been a week since the incident with Torchwick, and Ruby can tell Stygian hasn't fully recovered yet. So when Stygian was selected during Combat Class to fight Team CRDL, Ruby got very worried.

Yang: He'll be fine, Rubes. Stygian's tough. He'll win no sweat.

Ruby: If you say so...

Neo, who's sitting beside Ruby, watches the sparring ring warrily. The green haired girl sitting behind them eyes Neo with a look of recognition.

With Stygian...

Stygian stands before a table in the locker room. On the table is Chaos and Order. The Grimm Faunus stares at the two weapons before picking them up and storing them in his locker.

Sentinel: 'Are you sure about this?'

Stygian: 'Yeah. I don't think I'm ready to use them yet, it brings back the memories. Besides, unlike Ruby, I'm not completely hopeless without my weapons.'

Sentinel: 'Just don't forget that brute force isn't always the answer.'

Stygian rolls his eyes, even though Sentinel can't see him. The Rose Twin makes his way to the sparring ring.

Sooner than he liked, Stygian stands on one side of the sparring ring. Across from him, stands Team CRDL. From the stands, Stygian can hear his fellow students commenting on his lack of weaponry.

Goodwitch: Ready?

Stygian shifts into a fighting stance: right foot back, left foot forward, fists up to block or punch. Team CRDL spread out, weapons ready.

Goodwitch: Begin!

Team CRDL made the first move. All four members rush forward. Russel reaches Stygian first, daggers glinting as he slashes. Stygian moves quickly, using his bone vambraces, disguised as actual armor, to deflect Russel's daggers and follow up with a strong punch to Russel's chest. The boy flies back.

Stygian ducks as Dove's sword passes overhead from behind. Stygian turns as he ducks and slams his right foot into Dove's side. The Grimm Tamer leans back as Sky's halberd just misses his chest. He grabs the shaft of the weapon with his left hand and turns to the right, yanking the halberd, and Sky, forward. As he turns, Stygian slams his right elbow into Sky's face. The blow disorientates Sky, making him loosen his grip on his halberd. Stygian yanks the halberd out of Sky's hand and slashes Sky in the back with his own weapon.

The Rose Twin whirls around and, using the shaft of the halberd, deflects Cardin's mace as it descends. Stygian hooks the shaft under the blades of Cardin's mace and embeds the halberd into the ground, using it as leverage to slam both feet into Cardin's chest. Stygian jumps away from Cardin to avoid Dove's descending sword.

Stygian returns to his original stance as Team CRDL regroups, Cardin yanking Sky's halberd out of the ground and throwing it at Sky. Said boy barely managing to catch his weapon. Stygian grins and makes a "Come at me" gesture.

Cardin falls for the taunt. He growls, swinging his mace to the side and and accidentally hitting Dove. The leader of Team CRDL charges, probably not caring that he just hit his own teammate. Sky and Russel glance at each other before flanking Cardin, though they keep their distance.