5 - The Object of my Affection

"Draco says they're holding a Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts this year." Pansy whispered in my ear with glee as soon as I sat down at the Slytherin table for the start of year feast. "And there's to be a Yule Ball for fourth years and above only and Draco's taking me and unless you get asked out, which I doubt you will, you won't be able to go at all."

I glanced up at Draco who smugly cocked an eyebrow as a self satisfied smirk played on his lips.

I hadn't sat with them on the train so it was the first time I was seeing him; the now no longer virgin Draco.

There was certainly an extra whiff of arrogance about him since he'd started bonking my sister, that was for sure.

Pansy had told me in far too much detail what had happened ("We did it on his bed and it lasted one minute and sixteen seconds, I know because I counted. He said it'll last longer in future though when he's had more practice. But the mess Ivy, it was disgusting! Why on earth people want to do that all the time, I'll never know. I much prefer just kissing.").

I was secretly pleased that it didn't sound like she'd enjoyed it very much. It meant that it was unlikely they'd do it again.

But now, coming face to face with him, all I could picture was him doing it and I found myself furiously blushing.

"What's the matter with her?" I heard him mutter to Pansy.

"It's a virgin thing," Pansy tittered cruelly.

I felt his piercing silver eyes on me, felt him studying me. I was terrified to look up, terrified that the truth would be written all over my face.

I hated that I felt this way. I hated that I loved him and dreamed constantly about being in his arms, listening to him tell me that I was his world.

I hated that it was my sister he wanted and not me.

******

There was indeed to be a Triwizard Tournament.

And much to my dismay, it meant Quidditch was cancelled which further meant I couldn't tryout for the open spot of one of the Beaters like I'd been planning on doing that year.

And not only that, we had to share Hogwarts with two other visiting schools over the course of the Tournament.

This whole Triwizard thing really wasn't my cup of tea. I just wanted to play Quidditch and look at Draco's hair.

But instead, I sat and watched as yet more drama surrounded Harry Potter.

"I'm so scared he's going to get killed," Ginny sobbed in my arms as we hung out in the bathroom to bunk off of double Potions. Snape had been in a particularly bad mood since the announcement of Harry becoming the 'unexpected' fourth champion and thus Ginny and I decided to avoid double hell.

I wasn't that worried to be honest; Harry Potter was quite clearly invincible. It was the rest of us bit-players who needed to be fearful for our lives.

But I knew Ginny loved him and I knew how I would feel if it had been Draco's name that had come out of that goblet.

And poor Ginny was bereft when Harry didn't ask her to the Yule ball.

"I keep planting myself close by whenever he talks about it with Ron, but he doesn't seem to notice me." she sobbed.

But at least she still got asked; by Neville Longbottom.

"I didn't get asked either," Luna sighed wistfully. "It would have been nice if we could just go ourselves, but rules are rules, I suppose."

I snuck outside that night and crept to the windows of the Great Hall where I peered in and my eyes searched yearningly for the object of my affection.

I watched him as he laughed and danced with my sister. I watched as he twirled her elegantly round and round; the way his long white fingers curled protectively around her waist; the way his lips puckered ever so invitingly before he pressed them down upon hers. I watched even though it hurt my heart because he was so beautiful and I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

My lips were blue and chattering by the time I eventually went back inside.

That night, my mind was full of him as I lay down under my bedcovers. I thought about his silver grey eyes and white-blond hair; I pictured him laying on top of me and doing the things to me that he does to my sister.

I had to bite into my pillow to stop myself from crying out his name.

*****

The Tournament was pretty boring for the majority of the year.

The second task was held under the lake; nothing to see there.

And then the third task was held inside a maze; nothing to see there, either.

Well, except for the shock of witnessing Harry dragging a dead body out.

Poor Cedric.

*****