54 - The Worst Sister in the World

Harry continued to gawp at my stomach as I hurriedly rearranged my jacket and sat back down, trying to swallow down the feeling of mortifying shame.

I'd been in denial, of course. I tried to ignore all the signs during my time in the studio; instead allowing my grief to consume me.

Because acknowledging my pregnancy would mean acknowledging that there was a chance that Percy might be the father, and that thought was so horrifying that I felt as though I physically couldn't breathe.

And if it was Draco's... well, that just broke my heart.

"Pansy, could you excuse us," Harry eventually said, once he had composed himself, "I would like a private word with Ivy, if you don't mind."

Pansy looked completely enraged at being told to leave her own kitchen. But instead of retaliating, she looked down at me questioningly. I answered with a small nod.

"Very well," she said, heading towards the door, "but if you upset my sister, Potter, I'll personally see to it that you're strung up by the balls. And I don't think your little wife would like that now, would she?"

She slammed the door behind her, leaving just Harry and I looking at one another across the table.

"Malfoy has been to see me," Harry said at once. "Repeatedly."

My heart instantly hammered at the mention of his name.

"W-why?" I trembled, clasping my hands tightly together, half dreading what was to come; half desperate to hear anything about him. "Is he- is he-?"

"He seems adamant to find a way around the Unbreakable Vow," Harry interrupted, "he's refusing to take my word that it cannot be broken."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I found my heart strangely soaring, ridiculously pleased that Draco was missing me as much as I missed him. But then it instantly made me feel awful, knowing that he was still suffering too.

"Ivy," Harry continued, his stare hard and stern, "is there any chance that this baby isn't the result of this alleged rape?"

Slowly, I nodded, flinching at his choice of words.

"I'm assuming Pansy has no idea?" He went on, "considering she seems so certain that this counts as proof of what Percy supposedly did."

"It would hurt her so much if she knew," I whispered, looking away ashamedly, "she still thinks of him as 'hers' in a way."

Harry shook his head slowly, driving a hand through his hair. "I've got to say, Ivy, this doesn't look good on you."

My mouth fell open in horror; trying to get my head around what Harry was saying.

"I- I have memories," I trembled, really not wanting to have to do this, but seeing no other way to be believed. "It's how Draco found out."

"Memories can be faked," Harry shrugged, "I'm afraid you can't convict anyone based on them. You would be wasting your time showing me."

"Then what do I have to do?" I cried, suddenly feeling desperate. "Harry, I am sat here telling you that Percy raped me and not for the first time, yet you are treating me as though you think I'm some sort of delusional liar."

"Try looking at it from my point of view, Ivy," Harry said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair, "I have witnessed you and Percy enjoy many happy years together, and then one day, Malfoy comes back into your life and all of a sudden you walk out on my brother-in-law and shacking up with him. The next thing I know, Malfoy turns up on my doorstep telling my wife that her brother is a rapist - not you - him. You must see how this looks, Ivy? You are asking me to believe Malfoy - a well known liar and a convicted criminal over Percy - a war hero with no record of any wrong doings."

"But you're calling me a liar," I shook, feeling an anger start to bubble in my veins. "I'm telling you now, that Percy sexually assaulted me and has done so for a very long time."

"The thing is," Harry sighed, patiently, "you never came forward or even hinted that anything untoward was going on between you and Percy before Malfoy intervened."

"Because I didn't know, I didn't realise-"

"So you didn't think it was rape until Malfoy told you that it was?" Harry cut in abruptly.

"Yes, but-"

"And now you might be pregnant with Malfoy's child, thus proving a sexual relationship had been going on between you and him merely weeks after you broke off your engagement? An engagement you are claiming you ended because you were supposedly sexually traumatised throughout?"

"Harry, what are you saying?" I asked, horrified by what was happening. "That you really believe Draco's been manipulating me?"

"I'm not trying to be unkind here," Harry said firmly, "but if you go ahead with this then I'm afraid these are exactly the kind of questions you will be asked in court; questions you will be expected to answer in front of everyone." At this, his eyes flicked towards the door where Pansy had disappeared through. His meaning couldn't have been clearer. "I'm just trying to prepare you for what's ahead, and I hate to say it, but your position doesn't look good. I'm really sorry, Ivy."

I didn't say anything, instead tears splashed down my face. I wanted him to leave, to get out of this house and away from me. He was making me feel dirty, shameful and disgusting.

"Please leave," I said shakily. "Just go, Harry."

"I take it this means for now, that you'll leave it?" Harry asked, getting to his feet.

I nodded, looking away not being able to bear to look at his face anymore.

"I think it's for the best, Ivy, I really do. And for the record, you can count on my discretion with regards to your pregnancy. I fear the news might cause some unnecessary distress to the Weasley's, and they've been through enough."

"And if it's Percy's?" I asked, swallowing down the painful lump at the back of my throat.

"If it is Percy's, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Harry said quietly. "I do want to help you, Ivy. I really do. But I've got to put my Auror hat on here and my instincts are telling me that pursuing this may cause more harm than good. In the meantime, please look after yourself and let Pansy take care of you."

I wept quietly into my hands as he let himself out of the kitchen. It wasn't long before Pansy re-entered; her face a picture of thunder when I told her I was dropping the allegations.

"I just don't have the energy to fight," I explained, avoiding her eye, "not when it's his word against mine."

"Does that twat need a new pair of fucking glasses?!" Pansy screeched incredulously, "You are fucking knocked up!"

"It's still not enough!" I cried, wishing she would just drop it now. "All it proves is that there was sex. It doesn't prove that I didn't consent."

"But you didn't though," Pansy said, and I didn't miss the slight quiver in her voice, "he raped you, Ivy. He raped you."

I couldn't help but look at her then, and I was shocked to see tears swimming in her eyes as she looked back at me with a deep sadness I'd never seen before.

And in that instant I had never hated myself more for lying to her; for keeping silent about the fact that I might be carrying the child of the only boy she's ever loved.

I felt like the worst sister in the world.

*****