23 || Balanced Heartbeat

You watched Shoto slowly crouched down with his arms behind him for you to come on his back. You held your breath, your lips pressed together as you placed the front of your body onto his back while simultaneously wrapping your arms around his neck.

You could feel the warmth that radiated from his back and throughout your entire body, which didn't help one bit since your face was already burning—he was practically a heater. If things couldn't get any worst, the rhythm of your heartbeat pounded in your ears when he clutched onto your thighs and stood upright as if you weighed close to nothing. You shyly placed your chin atop of his left shoulder whilst the crimson strands of his hair brushed gently on the surface of your cheeks.

What ignited the flame even more was seeing Shoto's face practically burn because of something you had said—at the extent of not wanting you to even see his face. You knew that you were both evenly flustered at each other's unexpected gestures—which was a good balance between your developing relationship with him—even though you did sometimes have the upper hand when you'd make those remarks he would consider "unusual". Nevertheless, you felt somewhat accomplished on your part seeing a different side of the stone-faced demeanour he'd usually display.

His mismatched eyes momentarily glanced towards the side to speak to you. He breathed softly. "Are you ready?"

You chuckled lightly and whispered in his ear, "Always ready for you, Prince Charming."

His brows knotted together in slight confusion, quite bewildered at your response—mostly unsure of what to say—even though he knew that this was your normal, which he resolved to get used to. Your words rang in his thoughts as he made a scoff under his breath. He looked to the other side to suppress any wave of emotion that would try to arise, didn't understood why your simple, "unusual" statements would have such an effect on him—although he knew that he was not easily tossed around by anyone, especially some girl. He took a deep breath and sighed to compose himself once more.

You chuckled softly under your breath at the fact that you could a see a small tinge of red appeared subtly dotted on his face from your side view. You didn't know whether or not it was a mixture of embarrassment at your oblivious response or simply another reason altogether because of you.

Before you knew it, he lightly lifted his foot and stepped on the ground, causing thick layers of ice to rise beneath him. A rhombus perimeter surrounded him as he stepped forward on the air and formed an ice bridge.

You clenched your fist to suppress the excitement that made your chest make an upbeat bounce, causing yourself to inwardly sigh in relief that he couldn't see you at the moment of your flustered demeanour.

You gritted your teeth just to stop yourself from squealing like a total fangirl. You thought that despite of all the craziness that you experienced during your fall, you decided to engross yourself with the icy-hot boy in front of you instead, since you knew full well that it wouldn't do you any good if you start to worry about what had happened previously. You simply chose to relax on his body for now.

You were so high up the ground that it almost felt nauseating to look down, which caused you to clutch onto the boy in front of you tighter. He quickly took notice of it, continued to keep his face forward. He tilted his head slightly to speak to you, causing his left cheek to slightly touch your own.

"Don't worry, I won't drop you, I'll be here for you this time," he whispered.

You chuckled lightly beside his ear. "I know you won't, I trust you..."