01. RELIVING A NIGHTMARE

One Year Ago

My head pounded painfully as an intense headache clouded over my mind and sent sharp jabs into my skull

My head pounded painfully as an intense headache clouded over my mind and sent sharp jabs into my skull. I moved my hands up to hold my throbbing brain as loud voices began to echo throughout my ears.

'Alexa.. who are you?'

'It's complicated.'

'You have no idea.'

Visions of my memories started to unfold under my closed eyelids. I could see and hear everything as if I was reliving each moment but watching from afar.

'Can you at least tell me your name?'

'Five.'

My mind worked like a remote that continuously played small pieces of a movie before fast-forwarding through each scene to get to the important ones.

'Nothing. Absolutely nothing.'

'The world ends in eight days.. and I have no idea how to stop it.'

I could feel my body toss and turn as I was stuck in a dreamlike trance. I felt like I was sleeping and couldn't wake myself up until I was caught up with the present.

'What if this doesn't work?'

'I promise that we will always find each other.'

The voices began to get softer and more distant with each sentence that was spoken. I tried to hold onto a single memory but it slipped back into my head with the rest of them.

'Because you, Alexa, are timeless.'

Suddenly, every voice was gone and every vision disappeared. A dim, blue light came into my vision and started to become more vibrant. The lights swarmed me, becoming brighter and brighter until my body jolted upward. My eyes instantly snapped open. My breathing was heavy and uneven as I felt myself gasping for air. I placed my hand over my heart that was beating a million miles per minute.

"Alexa?"

My body completely froze as I felt my stomach drop when I heard the familiar voice. It couldn't be..

Suddenly, I felt my eyes wander around the room slowly. I saw bunk beds lined up against each wall with a teenager sleeping on the top and bottom. A fireplace stood in the front of the room beside a door. The flames were beginning to die out due to the lack of wood. I glanced down and noticed that I was on the top of a bunk bed. The scratchy blanket was draped across my paralyzed body.

"Is everything okay?"

I hesitantly shifted my gaze to the soft voice that whispered from beside me. A blonde girl with light brown eyes stared at me with caution as she sat upright on her bed. "Bree?" My voice wavered unsurely. The girl nodded slowly and watched me in a caring and worried manner. My expression faltered as a wave of varying emotions crashed onto me. I was conflicted on whether I should feel happy to see my old friend or nervous that I was seeing someone who had been killed not too long ago.