20. THE BEGINNING OF THE END

Bree's hand held onto mine

Bree's hand held onto mine. "Everyone holding hands?" I asked as I glanced over my shoulder. The five of us were standing in the dark hallway outside of the dining hall. The doors were locked but because I was intangible, breaking in wasn't an issue.

"I still don't get why we gotta hold hands," Leo commented sardonically. He was refusing to touch his own friend. Sometimes, guys were so weird with physical contact, even if it's with people they already know. I never understood why.

"I've told you multiple times," I huffed. "You're got to maintain physical contact with either me or someone else while I phase. If not, your body might get stuck in solid matter."

Leo rolled his eyes and finally grabbed Henry's wrist. "Whatever."

Once everyone was ready, I walked through the door, along with the rest of my friends. When we made it to the other side, everyone let go of each other. We all wore growing smiles when the realization of our plan working hit.

"Race you guys to the pantry!" Leo shouted. The five of us immediately bolted towards the back of the large dining hall, running as fast as we could to win.

Leo began sending waves of fire towards Henry in an attempt to slow the boy down. "Hey, that's cheating!" Henry exclaimed as he narrowly dodged the fire. He was now placed behind all of us because Leo's plan had worked.

"No one said it wasn't allowed!" Leo proclaimed.

Bree laughed as she decided to use her own powers to her advantage. She created a force field with the air right in front of me, but I was easily able to phase through it. I ran through every table and chair, while my friends had to jump over the furniture or maneuver around. Finally, I phased through the wall to the pantry and made it to all of the snacks and food first.

I grabbed a jar of chocolate chip cookies and ran back out and over to the table we usually sat at. I screwed the jar open and pulled out a cookie, eating while I waited for the rest of my friends to return with their own snacks. Leo was the first to reappear. He held a bag of spicy chips. Then, Zara, Bree, and Henry walked out of the pantry right after.

As they each took their seats, I smirked victoriously. "I win!" I took a bite out of a cookie. Chocolate chip was definitely my favorite.

"Only cause you cheated," Leo remarked. He seemed a bit bitter about his loss, but in a joking manner.

"Well, technically, you cheated first, and all's fair is love and war," I retorted, sending him a sly wink. Leo chuckled smiled softly and chuckled as his hands dug into a bag of chips.