34. SHOWDOWN

Five turned the steering wheel and the car swerved onto the next road, causing a few other drivers to beep and shout angry profanities out their windows

Five turned the steering wheel and the car swerved onto the next road, causing a few other drivers to beep and shout angry profanities out their windows. I held up my hand and mouthed a 'sorry.' He wasn't an awful driver but he was under a lot of stress right now, so he was breaking almost every law of the road. I offered to drive but Five said he could handle it.

"I was left with no other choice. Dad's advice was complete shit," Five remarked. We were currently talking about the reason Five suddenly appeared all bloody at Elliot's place as we were on our way to pick up Vanya.

"What did he say to you?" I questioned him.

Five just shrugged. "I asked him what he knew about time travel in practice, and all he told me was that 'my appetite was disproportionate to the size of my abilities.' The old man said 'start small.' 'Seconds not decades'."

I hummed in response. "That's not bad advice." Five rolled his eyes. I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Come on, think about. Your calculations aren't the problem, you're just thinking too big."

"Maybe you've got a point," Five admitted. "It's a bit too late now though. The Handler offered me a deal that I had to take."

"What exactly did she make you do?" I asked skeptically. Knowing her, it had to be something bad.

Five had a look of regret in his eyes. "In exchange for a briefcase and the end of the apocalypse scares, she sent me to kill the board members of the Commission."

My eyebrows raised. "Christ, Five, when I asked if you made a deal with the devil, I thought you sold your soul or something," I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Wait, you're okay with this?" Five asked. He tore his eyes off the road for a brief moment to glance at me.

"I'm just saying, it could've been worse," I replied honestly.

"I've spent years killing people, innocent or not," Five said. He had a faraway look in his blue-green eyes. "I'm over it. I only did that for you and my family."

"I think the Order really messed me up, Five.. I'm just so used to fighting and killing that it doesn't even bother me anymore," I spoke aloud. "Last night, when I watched the Swedes torture Elliot, I just felt so.. numb. I watched him die and felt almost nothing."

"I should've been there with you," Five said. He appeared disappointed in himself.

"It's not your fault." I shook my head and frowned. "It's mine."

"Lexa, what happened to Elliot wasn't because of you," Five assured me. "You were attacked by a third party. That's not your fault." My mind was still replaying the events of last night. Not only could I not stop thinking of Elliot and the Swedes, but the faceless figure who handcuffed me. The cuffs did something to me or my powers because I wasn't able to phase out of them. That had never happened before.