24. NUMBER SEVEN

My face cringed as I watched Lila burn Diego's flesh in order to close his stab wound

My face cringed as I watched Lila burn Diego's flesh in order to close his stab wound. The sizzling noise and smell reminded me of the night the Order branded us. As much as I tried to ignore my memories of the Horror Order, I couldn't seem to shake the thoughts that coursed through my mind.

Diego's eyes snapped open suddenly and he let out an ear piercing scream. My face scrunched up at the loud sound as I felt another headache coming on. Lila quickly shushed Diego, who was beginning to sit up now. "Don't move! This thing is very finicky!" Lila ordered. I found it strange how she knew exactly what she was doing. These sort of things weren't really common knowledge, especially for everyday people living in the sixties.

"What happened?" Diego groaned.

"I saved your stupid life," Lila said with a smirk.

Diego shot her a confused look. "Were you following me?"

"Uh, hey, what about a little gratitude, knife boy?" Lila remarked. "If it wasn't for me, you'd be dead. That's twice now, by the way."

Almost immediately, Diego's head whipped up again. "Where are my clothes?" He asked Lila. "The hell happened to my clothes?"

Lila huffed, "I said don't move." She pressed the metal into Diego's wound, causing his to cry out again. "There. That's better," Lila said after Diego passed out again. I glanced away from the two of them and took a sip of my coffee.

I heard the familiar sound of Five's teleportation. He walked in with his hands in his pockets as he sighed, "Oh. He isn't dead."

"Disappointed?" Lila asked him.

"Oh, to see you? Always," Five remarked. I could tell there was some tension between the two of them but I wasn't sure why. Five obviously disliked Lila, which doesn't say much because he doesn't like a lot of other people. There were probably only a select few people who he actually tolerated, some more than others.

Personally, I didn't really have a problem with Lila. She was a very weird girl, especially for the sixties. Sometimes, I feel like she knows more than she should if she was just an everyday citizen.

"So much hostility in such a tiny package," Lila said. Five ignored her comment as he walked over to grab a cotton bandage from the coffee table. Then, he walked over to the chair I was sitting on and stood beside me. "Did you cut yourself shaving? I could teach you to shave like a big boy."

I feigned a laugh and instead took another sip of my coffee to hide the smile on my face.

Five sighed in irritation. "No, I just ran into an old family friend." He walked off again and into the kitchen, leaving Lila and me alone.

"Is he always this bitter?" Lila asked. I was a bit surprised she was talking to me. I'm not sure why though.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Pretty much," I said honestly. "You get used to it though."