27. THE MAJESTIC TWELVE

Five read the mystery card that I had received in the mail to himself quietly

Five read the mystery card that I had received in the mail to himself quietly. He flipped it over multiple times, checking to see if there were any other messages or clues to who could've possibly sent me the letter, but there was nothing else. "Are you sure you don't know who could've sent you this?"

I sent him an 'are you serious' look. "Who else would I know in the sixties?" I asked, a bit too sarcastic.

"I don't know," Five sighed. "I have no idea why someone would send this to you though."

I glanced out the window onto the street again. The regular crowd of people walked by. There was no sign of the creepy, black figure I had seen before. "Whoever sent this knew exactly where I'd be and when I'd get it."

"Someone must be watching you then," Five stated. He followed my eyes and glanced out the window too, until both of us turned back to gaze at each other.

"What should I do?" I asked him. Five and I spoke in hushed voices now, unsure about who was listening or lurking nearby. "If someone's following me, then maybe they know that we're not supposed to be in this timeline."

"You're right," Five agreed. He took a look at my card again. "Whoever sent you this will be at the gala tonight though." He held up the personal message at the bottom of the card.

I nodded. "I'll be sure to keep an eye out then. We'll have to be more careful from now on."

"You don't think this could've been Lila's doing, right?" Five asked. I glanced over at the girl, who was laughing at something Diego must have said. There was definitely something going on between those two, probably something romantic. I just hoped that Diego wasn't in on whatever suspicious business Lila was involved in.

"I doubt it," I replied. "I still don't trust her though."

"I don't either," Five stated. I was glad we were on the same page. "She already knows too much, and I highly doubt Diego would cut her off now."

"Well, you know what they say," I sighed. "Couples who go to asylums together, stay together." It seemed like Lila had Diego wrapped around her finger.

Five made a face at my quote as he turned towards me. "Where did you hear that?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Oh, I just made it up.. I thought it was fitting for them."

Five smiled and shook his head in disbelief. "You're right. It is fitting," he chuckled. Then, he paused. "Wait.. we didn't go to an asylum together."

I nodded in agreement. "We went through the apocalypse though, and now we're going through a second one." My hands intertwined with Five's as the two of us shared a smile. "I think the life threatening matters we've been through together mean more than spending some time locked up in the looney bin."

Five smirked. "I'll have to agree with you on that one," he said. I felt butterflies fluttering within me. "Speak of the devil," Five muttered. I brought my hand up to my lips to cover my smile.