32. TEAM ZERO

My head pounded violently against my skull

My head pounded violently against my skull. I brought my hand up to hold myself in an attempt to make the aching stop but it was useless. I was definitely hungover from last night at the hair salon.

I heard Luther's voice. "Diego, this is a setup." I wasn't sure if my sudden irritation came from him or the hangover. Maybe a little bit of both.

"Maybe," Diego admitted. "But we should go anyway." I heard his footsteps stop in front of me. "Here, kid." My eyes opened slowly as I took the glass of water out of his hand, taking a sip. The blinding lights were excruciating and not even the round sunglasses Vanya had found for me were helping. I found it strange how she managed to get a pair the loosely resembled the ones from that old, sixties movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's. I guess that became popular after everyone saw Audrey Hepburn wear them.

"Says the guy who's already been stabbed once this week," Luther remarked. He tossed the invitation on the coffee table.

"Oh, don't worry," Diego sighed. "Me and him are gonna have words."

Luther rolled his eyes and glanced at Vanya. "Would you tell him that he's nuts?"

Vanya just shrugged. "I think we should go," she admitted.

"See?" Diego said.

"Vanya," Luther stated. "Of all people, you should hate Dad the most." That was very true but I think he forgot that Vanya can't remember anything from her past.

"Come on," Vanya reasoned. "Can he really be that bad?"

Luther shrugged. "Okay, well, let's see.. He isolated you from the rest of the family."

"Kept you hopped up on pills," Diego cut in.

"And, he brainwashed you into thinking you had no powers," Luther added.

Vanya shook her head as she sighed, "Jesus, this guy!" She couldn't believe that her own father would do such a thing. "I mean, come on, I have to meet him."

Diego smirked as Luther's hand shot up to point at him. "You already know how this is gonna go. Dad is gonna play all his little mind games on us, get into our heads, and he's gonna turn us all against each other. You watch."

I laid my head back on the couch and sank down in my seat. I was so tired, physically and mentally.

"Luther, we're not twelve anymore," Diego pointed out. "Alright? We're grown-ass men. And women." Diego bent down slightly to reach Luther's eye level as stared at the ground. "Hey, we can handle him. Wanna know what's different this time?"

"What's that?" Luther asked, meeting his brother's eyes.

"You got me," Diego stated. He glanced around the room at his siblings. "We go in there as a united front. No more 'Number One,' 'Number Two' bullshit. From now on, it's.. Team Zero."