13. LAUGH THE NIGHT AWAY

As soon as the door shut and my hand by dropped from my handle, I let out a shaky breath

As soon as the door shut and my hand by dropped from my handle, I let out a shaky breath. My back slid down the door slowly. I pulled my knees up to my chest once I was sitting on the ground, and ran my hands through my blonde hair. I felt my whole body become slightly more relaxed now that I was behind the safety of my bedroom door, but I could still feel my nerves on edge after what had just happened.

I could feel Bree's eyes on me from across the room. She had followed me back to our bedroom after the crowd finally dispersed when Eleanor was taken away. Surprisingly, Zara wasn't in the room when the two of us walked in. I have no idea where she could've gone after the fight, but I'm sure she was fine. The hotheaded girl probably just needed time and space to cool off. I assumed that she went to the boys' room to speak with Asher. Somehow, he always knew what to say to the Asian girl to calm her down.

"Where are they taking her?" Bree spoke up. Her soft, worried voice broke me out of my small panic attack. Her timing was impeccable because I could feel myself slipping into a guilt trip.

"I don't know," I said with a sigh. "But she's not coming back." Bree met my eyes with a frown. I think a part of her was aware that I was right, but she couldn't understand how I knew that we wouldn't see Eleanor again. After all, Bree still has no idea that I'm reliving through the past. I really wanted to tell her though. I needed someone that I could talk to, and she is my best friend. We've always told each other everything and now I feel like I'm betraying her trust in a way. "This is all my fault," I mumbled to myself.

Bree furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head in disagreement. "Alexa," she said, catching my attention. "What happened with Eleanor wasn't your fault." I really admired how caring she could be. Even though we were still supposed to be fighting, I knew she'd always be there for me and have my back. I would do the same for her too. Sometimes, I questioned if I even deserved her friendship because that's just how kind she was.

"Yes, it is," I muttered. "That fight wasn't supposed to happen. Whatever vision she was telling me about, shouldn't even exist!" Bree looked at me like I was crazy too. Maybe I was. "I must've done something wrong because none of this is playing out how it should."

Bree met my eyes with an expression that was beyond confused. "I don't understand what you're talking about," she sighed. Her tone sounded exhausted, probably because this was the exact conversation we were fighting about for weeks now. Bree walked over to the door and sat down on the floor beside me. Though I pulled my eyes away from hers, I could still feel her staring at me. "Please, Alexa.. Tell me what's going on, and don't say that I won't understand." I was about to come up with an excuse as to why I couldn't share my secret with her, but Bree read my mind before I could even say a word. "Just let me help you. I'm tired of fighting."

I frowned slightly. "Me too," I admitted. "I'm sorry.. about all that's happened between us lately," I said with an apologetic shrug.