2.

London, England

"Home sweet home" I breathed out as Daniel and I left Heathrow airport. "Woah, the weather is uh- nice?" Daniel said awkwardly. "Welcome to England love" I replied as we stood underneath the umbrella together. Of course, it was raining. We snuggled up to each other for a while until my mum's car finally pulled up. She climbed out in a hurry and ran over to us. "Riley dear" she called out in her shrill voice as she hugged me tightly. She turned her head towards Daniel and held out her hand. "You must be our special guest, I'm Mrs Warren but you may call me Ophelia."

She and Daniel shook hands warmly. Then mama helped to put our luggage in the car boot and then we were off, driving towards Central London. I tilted my head closer to Daniel, we were sitting together sleepily in the backseat. Mum babbled on about her new family, she didn't realise we weren't listening but I hummed a response every now and then. 

After an hour or so, we arrived at her house. She took us straight to my old room and placed our suitcases down for us. "This is where Riley grew up" she announced proudly. "We're okay for now, thanks mum" I smiled. "I'll call you down for dinner later, see you" she chorused, shutting the door behind her.

Daniel sat on my bed. "As you can tell my mother is a very excitable person. You know, my dad was the one who chose my name thank god for that. Mum wanted to name me Tabitha" I grimaced at the thought of it. "TABITHA" Daniel cried out, he burst into a fit of prompt laughter. I crossed my arms and glared at him, he didn't stop. "Are you through?" I asked with gritted teeth. "Yes. No wait I'm not" he replied before laughing even harder. He settled down, panting breathlessly. 

"Now I'm done" 

"Shut up"

He went to tease me but I threw my jacket at his head. "If you ever  tell anyone that or even try to mock me about it, I will tell everyone in Reseda that you still sleep with a stuffed elephant called Mr Jenkins-" I warned, "-Do we have a deal?" Daniel glared at me and held out his hand. "Deal" he mumbled. We had just finished unpacking when the bell rang from downstairs. "What's that noise?" Daniel asked curiously. "It's the bell to alert the family that dinner is ready" I explained. "Oh," he said in astonishment. I held his hand and led him downstairs into the dining room where the table was already set.

Mum sat in the head chair at the end of the table. "So my darlings, how was the flight?" She conversed, taking a sip of her red wine. "Long but it was okay, Daniel slept through most of it" I answered as I tucked into the food. She hammered Daniel with lots of questions about himself, I could tell he was getting a bit flustered. "How're things around here?" I cut in, distracting her so she'd back off him. Daniel squeezed my thigh under the table, I smiled. "Very swell. Oh my, I almost forgot. Joseph has been asking for you, I told him you were visiting and he's most delighted" she informed.

I shook my head in slow motion, hoping she'd catch on to drop the conversation but she didn't. "You should swing by tomorrow, you could even invite him over for dinner. I know he'd be most pleased to see you again" she bubbled. "Aha...Yeah. Uh, well you see it's Daniel's first time in England and I'd rather spend bonding time with him. Alone. Sightseeing." I hinted. She still didn't understand. "Oh, well I've already said he can pop by whenever he wants," mum said cheerfully. "You what!" I almost choked on my food. 

I hid my discomfiture behind a forced smile. Although my mother couldn't see it, Daniel definitely could. After dinner, we headed up to my room to get ready for the night. I hadn't said a word, I was hoping Daniel wouldn't bring it up. As I was changing, he sat on the bed and cleared his throat. 

"Who's Joseph?" He asked the dreaded question. I could tell he was slightly annoyed by his tone mixed with uncertainty. "He's uh, he's uh just a friend I went to boarding school with" I slowly admitted. "Boarding school? You never told me you went to boarding school! How did you even afford it?" He exaggerated. "I didn't feel it was important to tell you. My mum's side of the family has a bit of money" I answered, averting my gaze from his fiery eyes.

"A bit?" He scoffed. Daniel looked around what was once my bedroom, he knew that it was fancier than anything he'd seen back in Reseda. I sighed.

"Okay fine I guess you could say my mother is rich but I've never cared for money like that. My mum was very adamant that I follow in her footsteps growing up. I'm the adventurous type, I like action. But I had to do everything my mum did as a young girl. I took ballet lessons, I took violin courses, I went to boarding school and followed her along to private charity auctions and so on. That's why my parents aren't together anymore. Let's call it creative differences. My mum is just your typical upper-class lady" I revealed. 

Daniel just looked at me in surprise but then he quickly frowned. "Why didn't you tell me any of this? Don't you think I should know if my own girlfriend had everything handed to her on a silver platter" he exclaimed.

"I thought maybe you wouldn't want me if you knew I came from a wealthy background" I turned away from him.

Daniel stood up and wrapped himself around me from behind. "I'm sorry baby, I'm just tired and moody. I love you" he mumbled against my neck. "I love you too," I said spinning myself around so we were facing. We kissed for a minute or so before we crawled into bed drowsily. Daniel fell asleep instantly but I couldn't. I knew sooner or later I'd have to encounter Joseph but to tell you the truth, I wasn't ready.