12.

A few days before the match

Joseph's pov:

I entered the country club with my head held high. Scanning the area, I spotted the karate referee that my mother had hired for us. I instructed that Mark would meet me in private so we walked outside to where the match was going to be held. "I have a proposition to make" I announced. "What is it?" He asked curiously. "I want to pay you £100 to disqualify that putrid karate kid, even if his attacks are legitimate."

Mark looked at me oddly. "You mean it? £100 just for me giving out warnings?" He pressed further. I nodded my head and pulled out my wallet, I handed him two fresh £50 pound notes. Mark smirked at me and took the money, stuffing it into his pocket. We shook hands and I watched him walk away. "It's over karate kid, Riley is mine" I mumbled to myself. I laughed and walked away, it was too good to be true.

Riley's pov:

I was playing mini golf by myself when I noticed Joseph talking to a man. I wanted to go over and say hi but it appeared to be a serious conversation. I watched as Joseph handed him money, they shook hands. I had no idea what they were talking about, it left me wondering. I pushed it aside and continued my game, it was nice to have some space alone. Things had been so off between Daniel and I, the only time we saw each other was at bedtime. Even still, we wouldn't touch each other. I missed his embrace, I wanted his hugs. I wanted his kisses.

Then I'd remember that he betrayed me and all my doubts would come rushing back. I spent my days avoiding him at the country club but I'll admit...I needed to see him again. After my golf game finished, I left and strolled home listening to music on my walkman. When I arrived, the house was empty. I was about to go upstairs when I heard loud grunts coming from the garden. I walked outside to discover Daniel practising karate. He was concentrated, deeply and importantly.

I took a deep breath and walked over to him. "Hey..." I greeted quietly. Daniel stopped abruptly and smiled, he looked excited to see me. "Hey bab- I mean Riley" he greeted back. We looked at each other, I was trying my best not to cry in front of him. God, I missed when he'd call me baby. "What are you doing?" I asked, trying to blow off the tension. "Practising, I uh. I have a match coming up" he said. He wiped the sweat off his head with the back of his hand before starting his movements again.

"Oh, with who?" I asked confused. Johnny Lawrence was back in Reseda and Daniel didn't know anyone else here except for Joseph. Then it hit me. "Please tell me you're not fighting Joseph" I scolded. "I am," he said sharply. I shook my head in disappointment and grabbed onto his shoulders, forcing him to look at me. "Why are you doing this Daniel? He's more advanced than you, you're gonna get hurt!" I fretted. I didn't like the sound of the karate match at all, I expected too much of a bad outcome. "I'm doing it for...For...Ugh. I have to do this okay?" He sighed.

"No! You don't. Whatever it's about it's not worth it. Just because I'm not your girlfriend doesn't mean I stopped caring about you" I fussed. Daniel's breathing hitched as I finished my sentence. Hearing the reality of our breakup hit the both of us, he looked down sadly. I let go of his shoulders and turned away so my back was facing him. "Please Daniel. If you know what's good for you then don't go to the match" I warned him. "I'm sorry Riley but I'm going. I will win and then you'll know the truth" he declared. 

Tears trickled down my cheeks.

"If you say so" was all I replied before I walked away.