19.

A few days later

Riley's pov:

Staring around the room, I feel odd. I don't remember how I got here, I look at all the wires and machines I'm connected to which freaks me out a bit. "What happened to me?" I ask the boy beside me. He hasn't left my side since I woke up. "You were attacked...Don't you remember?" He answers me. I shake my head. "The last thing I remember...Is sitting in my room and a blonde boy came to see me" I tell him. "That's Johnny. We came to save you" he replies. 

He takes hold of my hand and looks me deep in my eyes. "Do you remember me, Riley?" He asks firmly, there's a hint of desperation in his tone. Looking at him, I feel a connection, maybe even a spark between us. "Your name is...Daniel" I answer him best I can. He nods and smiles, still not breaking any eye contact. Then, he lifts my breathing mask off for a moment and kisses me with a passion like never before.

He pulls back when I start breathing heavily, placing the mask on me again. "Daniel..." I mumble, resting my head against his. Tears slip down his flushed cheeks which I weakly wipe away with my thumb. So much has happened but with him, I feel at home. A place of comfort. Then, I think about those horrible men and get all worked up. "What if they come after me again?" I fret.

"Now that I know who it is I will never let them hurt you again baby, that's a promise" Daniel comforts me, holding me close. I feel protected in his arms, something I haven't felt in a long while. "I love you, Riley," he says to me, cupping my face in his hands. "I love you too..." I reply. It feels a little odd to say that but it makes him happy. The doctor comes in for a check-up, politely ushering Daniel out of the room. Even though he's just outside, I can still feel his touch lingering on me.

Daniel's pov:

I wave at Riley through the small window in the door, I feel relieved. I really don't know what I'd do without her, we've been through so much together. As the doctor checks up on her, I make my way down to the vending machine to grab some snacks. Just as I collect them, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see Riley's dad standing there with a smile. "How is she?" He asks me with a teary smile.

"She's fine John, the doctors say she'll be home soon" I explain to him. We hug again but this time it's not out of sadness. Shortly after, we're allowed back into the room and John practically runs inside. "Sweetheart!" He greets her with a careful hug. "Hi," Riley replies, her words are slightly muffled behind the mask.

"I know you woke up not long ago but please, I have to know where you've been" he pleads. My eyes widen, if she tells him the truth I will be a dead kid myself. "Well, I-" she begins to speak when her eyes flutter over to me. I think she realises the panic I'm in and she gives me a small smile. "I was away...Exploring. I must've hit my head but I'm not too sure" she explains to him and I let out the biggest breath that I didn't even realise I'm holding in. 

John looks at her for a moment with a raised eyebrow but he believes her. "Next time, please give me a call. You had me worried when nobody heard from you" he replies. She nods at him before giving me a small wink which makes me chuckle.