17.

London, England

Riley's pov:

I started packing my belongings into my suitcase. I was leaving in a few days and I couldn't wait to get back to Reseda. Everything had been such a whirlwind on our trip. I heard the bell ring for breakfast so I stopped folding my clothes and headed down into the dining room. "Good morning" mum greeted as she placed our bowls on the table. "Good morning" I yawned, it was still quite early. 

"I have the day off today so we can spend our time together" she smiled as I sat down. "Sounds good mama" I replied. I tucked into my cereal when the phone rang out in the hall. Mum stood up with a small sigh and walked out to answer it. I could hear her talking as I ate and then she began arguing. "Riley, your father wants to talk to you" she called out in an annoyed tone. I giggled and went out to take over the phone. "Hey pops" I greeted.

"Hello love, I'm just checking what time I need to pick you up from the airport" he replied. "I arrive around eleven am, I can meet you in the parking lot" I explained. "Sounds good hun. I hope you're okay and I miss you" dad said. "I'm okay! I miss you too. I can't wait to come home" I smiled. We talked for a few minutes more before he hung up to go to work.

"Your father is a headache and a half" mum complained when I joined her again. Those two couldn't hold a conversation to save their life. After breakfast, we watched a movie together when there was a knock on the door so she went to answer it. "Hello Ophelia," I heard Mrs Croxton say. I grunted, why did Joseph's mother have to come over? The two women entered the living room a minute or so after.

"Hello Riley dear" Mrs Croxton smiled, I noticed she was carrying a large bag. "Hi Jackie" I replied sourly. "Riley stand up, Jackie's going to take your body measurements," mum said cheerfully. She went over to the cabinet and poured 3 glasses of champagne. I stood up slowly. "What for?" I asked curiously as Jackie pulled out her tape. 

She measured my body, tugged and pulled on my clothes. "Hmm, skinnier than I thought" she mumbled to herself. I bit my tongue, I didn't like that she was commenting on my weight. She then pulled out a white dress and held it tightly against my front. "This should do, don't you think Ophelia?" Jackie said. Mum scanned me and a smile etched across her face. "It's perfect" mum gleamed. "Can someone tell me what's going on?" I pleaded.

Jackie pulled away from me. "I'll leave you to talk" she said before heading out into the kitchen. Mum sat on the couch and patted the space next to her, I sat too. "Riley honey, there's something you should know" mum began. I looked at her curiously, I could sense something was up. "I know you like Daniel but you're not together anymore and well...Jackie and I have had a few discussions" she continued. 

"Mum, it's not liking. I love Daniel, I love him" I claimed. She sighed, I could tell she didn't want to be having this conversation. "Please, just tell me what's going on" I begged, she was making me nervous.

Mum looked me straight in the eyes.

"Jackie and I would like you and Joseph to become engaged."

My jaw dropped open.

"You want me to marry JOSEPH?" I cried out. 

She nodded her head.

"Next week" she replied.

I almost had a heart attack.