hospitals

Rose didn't know where she was. She could faintly hear sounds and voices all around her, but she couldn't decipher anything. There was a slight pressure on her left hand, giving her comfort even though she didn't know what the pressure was.

She knew that she was not quite asleep. She couldn't open her eyes or move her body, but she was awake. Rose knew that muggles sometimes went into comas, and she figured that that's what she was in.

"My dear."

At the voice, Rose felt herself being transported to a place that was becoming increasingly familiar: the In-Between. Death was standing in front of Rose, looking just like she always did.

"Oh, hello," Rose said softly, blinking her eyes at the bright white of the area around her. "Am I dead?"

"Of course not," Death said with a small chuckle and a warm smile. "Your body is asleep."

"Why?" Rose asked.

"Because a poison was able to make its way into your blood system," Death explained. "You are familiar with the poison, thanks to Miss. Delores Umbridge."

Rose crinkled her nose at the name.

"Why wasn't I like this back at Hogwarts when she made me use the quill everyday?" Rose asked.

"That was a much smaller dose," Death answered. "It was just enough to keep the cut open for the night or the next few days. The knife that cut you had enough to infect your whole body for years."

"I'm gonna be stuck like this for years?!" Rose asked, her voice high with panic.

"No, only a few more hours, I believe," Death said reassuringly. "You're not a normal human and you were lucky enough to be found almost as soon as the poison entered your body."

"How long have I been asleep?" Rose asked.

"Three days," Death answered. Rose cringed a little, knowing that everyone must be panicked. "The healers in France were able to remove a large amount of the poison. You are currently at St. Mungo's where they remove more of the poison everyday."

"So why am I here?" Rose asked. "Why can't I just wake up and go home? I'm newly married, in case you didn't know, and I'd enjoy spending more time with my husband."

"Congratulations on the marriage, my dear Amare," Death said softly as she gently caressed Rose's cheek, ignoring the way the girl shivered. "And you are here because someone needs to talk to you."

"Who?" Rose asked as her eyebrows furrowed.

"Me."

Rose gasped in shock and whirled around to see Dumbledore standing in front of her. He looked younger than he had when he died. His hair was auburn and much softer looking. His eyes still twinkled as he looked at Rose with a small smile.

"It's good to see you, Miss. Black," Dumbledore greeted. Even his voice seemed younger.

"It's Potter, actually," Rose corrected. She had considered hyphenating her name, but nothing sounded right so she went with Potter.

"So I've heard," Dumbledore said.

"I'll leave you two to talk," Death said. Rose was barely able to wave goodbye before she disappeared, leaving Rose with Dumbledore and the bright white of the In-between.

"So...how have you been?" Rose asked awkwardly.

"Death is odd, no doubt," Dumbledore said. "Not pleasant, but I hear it's better than before."

"How are you able to talk to me?" Rose asked. She knew enough about death to know that Dumbledore should be gone forever.

"Death and I are old friends," Dumbledore said casually. "She has allowed me to do several things that are previously unheard of."