8: Skeletons in the Attic

The Navarros murdered her mother. This is why Aria cannot trust Gio. And the larger puzzle is why does Sister Regina know a Fajardo woman? Good enough that she's able to persuade her to take her in. Isa pa, why is her mom's sketchbook on the Navarro attic? Is it some sort of keepsake for the woman they murdered? Puro pencil sketches ang laman ng sketchbook, karamihan mga landscape: bundok, palayan, dagat. Malamang ay iba't ibang lugar ito sa probinsiya Quezon.

May mga kwento ang Mama niya tungkol sa mga road trip nila sa buong probinsiya. May dalawang portrait ang sketchbook. Iyong isa, a much younger Sister Regina, ang isa pa ay isang babaeng hindi niya makilala. Walang pirma at date na nakalagay dito kaya alam ni Aria na ito lang ang drawing na hindi tapos sa lumang sketchbook ng mama niya.

Tinitigan ni Aria ang family tree ng mga Navarro na iginuhit niya. Don Navarro had four sons and a daughter. The eldest son was Dr. Florencio Navarro, Gio's father. He was married to Emilia Escoval Navarro, the woman probably on the painting she saw at the attic. Only Doctor Navarro fathered legal children making Gio and his siblings the only heirs of Hacienda Navarro.

The next Navarro is Jose Navarro, an artist and he never married. Nothing much could be said about him. Rumors say that he is probably gay so Don Navarro kicked him out of the house. Others say he went away from the hacienda for pursue a simple life as an artist. Ricardo Navarro is the rumored mob boss, as a mob boss he probably has illegitimate children after all the alcohol and prostitutes. Pero wala namang ibang balita sa kanya bukod sa namatay siya sa isang ambush.

Next, Almario Navarro is a lawyer. He was the dethroned and disgraced mayor. Madami siyang nagawa para sa bayan ng Ganza ngunit nang pagtakpan niya at protektahan ang kanyang kapatid na si Ricardo, doon nagsimulang mawalan ng tiwala ang mamayan. Siya ang nagmana ng pagiging mayor ni Don Navarro. As for the youngest Navarro, Carmelita Navarro was the flower among the thorns. She was the Navarro only girl. She overlooked charity works of the family which earned the Navarros some good reputation. However, she was rumored to be murdered by the Fajardos, cementing the war between these families that is still going on.

May koneksyon ang Mama niya sa mga Navarro at hindi mawari ni Aria kung ano iyon. Her mom probably dated the artist. Isang sensitive at receptive ng babae ang kanyang nanay, of all Navarro children, si Jose Navarro ang malamang ay magugustuhan ng kanyang Mama. But then, there is the rumor that he is gay. Aria's mother graduated at Ganza State University, isang proyekto ni Don Navarro, na sa loob ng pamamahala ng mga Fajardo ay naipasara na.

Ang mga graduate din ng GSU ay si Carmelita at Ricardo Navarro. Aria was surprised to know that Gio and Ali graduated from the same university. The university is now closed because everything connected to the Navarros are closed down when the Fajardos took over.

Usap-usapang buhay pa rin ang mafia na pinapatakbo ng mga Navarro. Pero matapos ang tatlong araw sa Navarro Estate, parang hindi naman. The Navarro brother's have a normal life, or they seem to have one.

Hindi na alam ni Aria kung ano ang kanyang dapat paniwalaan.

Aria is back at her condo and tomorrow, she's going back to work. Lizzie stayed, parte raw ng trabaho niya, about the promotion of the wine thing. Aria wonders if it's safe to leave Lizzie there alone. Well, nandoon naman si Charmaine.

Aria also wondered if Gio was managing the Navarro properties because he wants to or he's ought to? Because for her, it's combination of the two. Aria could have followed her mother's twin in the US, have a stable career there. Pero, she still have unfinished business. Hindi mo mapaghihigantihan ang ampunan mula sa ibang bansa. Isa pa, may dahilan pa rin siya para manatili — ang firm. It's her mother legacy and she wants to keep that alive.