33: Pretending

"Of course, you know where my condo is and you're sitting in my couch." wika ni Aria nang makita si Gio sa loob ng kanyang studio-type condo.

"Paano ka nakapasok dito? Bakit hindi ka hinarang ng guard?"

"I'm your boyfriend, remember?"

Tiningnan ni Aria si Gio. This guy, really?

"Pano ka nakapasok? Wala ka namang sinirang lock or what?"

"I'm not a lockpicker like Lizzie but I do have connections and I use them well."

"Why on earth would C.C. give you my keys?" tanong ni Aria, after figuring things out. Si C.C. lang ang may susi ng condo niya bukod sa kanya.

"Are you paying her? Or are you taking her services?" tanong ni Aria, trying to hide her annoyance.

"Jealous?" tanong ni Gio. Aria hopes he won't catch that but he still did.

"You are so predictable, Mrs. Navarro."

Aria took the first thing she saw and threw it at Gio. Madali namang nakailag si Gio at tiningnan kung ano'ng binato sa kanya, aircon remote control.

"See? Totally predictable. Better if you just throw your lingerie on me."

Inaasahan ni Gio ang magiging reaksyon ni Aria. She rolled her eyes. He really enjoys teasing her. She also gave her "you're dead to me look". He tried to resist laughing though.

"You must have a good reason why you're here, unless you're trying to be a creepy stalker." wika ni Aria habang naghahanap ng kumportableng pambahay.

"Ako, a creepy stalker?" mahanging tanong ni Gio. Binabawi na ni Aria iyong sinabi niya dati na hindi arrogante si Gio.

"I'm sleeping in." wika ni Gio.

"No!" protesta ni Aria.

"Listen, Mrs. Navarro. I'm just trying to protect you."

Aria looked at him. He sounded serious. Aria knew that arguing with Gio was pointless.

"You sleep on the couch then." sagot ni Aria.

"I won't mind. I'm already comfortable here."

Sumandal si Gio sa couch at napansing umusod ito. Tumayo siya at tinulak ang sofa until it turned into a bed.

"I knew it!" sigaw nito. Aria rolled her eyes. Para siyang batang nakadiskubre ng treasure chest. It's just a sofa bed!

Gio can't sleep. Well, he doesn't intend to. Any time now, if they are targeting Aria, they should be moving. Tumayo siya para pumunta sa comfort room pero sinilip niya muna ang dalaga sa kama. She's fast asleep. Good.

According to his informant, the man will be by the basement parking lot by now. This building had shitty security. The assassin sent to kill Aria could use that to his advantage. Gio will use that too, to protect her.

Aria heard her bathroom door open and close. Gio. He's here. Ipipikit na sana ulit ni Aria ang kanyang mga mata pero narinig niya ang pintuan ng unit niyang sumara. At saan naman pupunta si Gio nang ganitong oras?

Aria did not bother to put on a bra under her comfortable cotton shirt, let alone bring any kind of firearm. Her combat skills hopefully will be enough. Wherever Gio is going, she feels like she has to follow. Dimmed na ang hallway ng condo and by looking at the first elevator, Gio is obviously going to the basement parking. Ano naman kaya ang gagawin ni Gio doon?

"You tried killing the last woman I dated, of course I was expecting you." iyon ang unang narinig ni Aria pagbukas ng elevator door. Nakarinig din siya ng isang bagay na nabasag. It was the CCTV camera on the corner, shot by Gio using his silenced pistol.

The parking lot basement is well-lit still, that the lights almost hurt Aria's eyes. Napatakip si Aria ng mata.

"Ma'am Aria?" tawag ng isa pang lalaki. Namukhaan niya agad kung sino ito. Isa ito sa mga body guard ng Tito niya.

"Miss Victoria, boyfriend mo talaga si Gio?" tanong nung lalaki. This time, Aria walked towards the man.

Before Aria could answer, someone fired the shots. There were no loud gunshot, but the man just started bleeding and fell on the floor. Aria turned around and knew who fired.

Zach.

"Zach! No more killing unless I say so!" sigaw ni Gio. Nakangisi lang si Zach sa tabi ni Gio.

Ganito kabilis ang dalawang ito kumilos?

"Also, you're late." dagdag ni Gio.

"Come on, I was actually just in time!" reklamo ni Zach.

What the hell with these two! After what she witnessed, Aria is finally fully awake.

"They're really are coming for the women you love," wika ni Aria, naglakad siya papunta kay Gio.

"This is why all of you are single." realization ni Aria. "Oh my God, akala ko tinatakot mo lang ako."

Tinitigan lang siya ni Gio.

"Kaya hindi pwedeng malaman ng ibang taong may relasyon si Charmaine at Rafael. Pupuntiryahin nila si Charmaine."

"I didn't know it was this... complicated."

"I'm glad I came here, Aria."

"Thank you. You really saved me this time."

"I won't count that as saving you. Nag-hesitate siya kasi isa kang Fajardo. Pero kung hindi, baka isa ka nang malamig na bangkay ngayon."

"Plus I fired before he can!" proud na wika ni Zach. Siniko siya ni Gio.

"Sabi ko, walang papatay unless I say so eh!"

"Come on! I saved your girlfriend!" reklamo ni Zach. Gio rolled his eyes. Natawa nalang si Aria.

"Let's keep fake dating, I want to see how this one goes." sabi bigla ni Aria na kinagulat ni Gio.

"About that, I'm thinking this has to stop. Your family is coming for you, Aria."

"I don't care. Hindi sila ang pamilya ko. Matagal nang patay ang pamilya ko."

And they won't come after me. She just knows they won't.

"Aria, masyadong delikado."

"I could protect myself, Gio. I'm not the Trinity leader for nothing."

Napabuntong-hininga si Gio.

"Then I'll do my best to protect you as well. I dragged you in this fake dating, I'll see this through."

Aria had the urge to kiss him. It would be a romantic moment if not for the death threats and complications with their families. Plus, Zach is watching both of them. That makes things awkward.

Aria is fearless and reckless, Gio on the other hand is level-headed and careful. They make a good combination that somehow works.

How many times are they going to keep saving each other? Aria didn't ask to be Juliet, and Gio never wanted to be Romeo. Only now when Aria realized that this family feud is a sick cycle, one driven by pride. Gio realized this long ago. Ito ang dahilan kung bakit ayaw ni Gio lumaban. Aria did not admit it to herself at first but they are just two people in love, caught in the crossfire of their families.

And Aria is still asking herself, are they really still pretending?