36

January 2022

January 2022

               "Huh?" Confusion sets in on her expression

"Huh?" Confusion sets in on her expression. She looks at the doctor and asks, "he wants to see...me? Nobody else?" She had to be clear.

"If you're Shantey Washington..." the doctor informs, "I can walk you to his room once you're ready."

Shantey peers up at Tae, seeking the approval. He nods and kisses her forehead telling her to go since he could understand why Troy rather spoken to her over anyone else.

She follows the woman doctor behind the doors and down the corridor before she stops in front of the door. She knocks, pushing the door open slowly. "Mr. Booker, I have you visitor here."

She stepped aside to allow Shantey inside. Troy lays his eyes on Shantey. He rests in bed, an old show on BET playing on the mounted TV. The doctor leaves, shutting the door and Shantey says, "Hey. I see you're growing you hair out. Facial hair too."

Troy chuckles weakly, rubbing his messy soft curls and unshaved low beard. "Tryna a new look on me," his voice hoarse, "Don't like?"

Shantey snickers at him jumping his eyebrows up and down. "Even in a hospital bed, you flirt." she shakes her head, sitting on side of the bed. Once their laughing ceases, she stares seriously, "How come you chose me?"

"Cause ion' need the judgment from nobody." he admits, "My Grandma gon' scold me and cry. Then my uncle's gon' scold me even mo'. They don't understand addiction."

"True..." She stares at him, "Before we go into anything else—Why did you start using? Don't tell me because you liked the feeling. Everyone has a reason. Mine was because of the abuse I went through as a child. I wanted to numb that. Pills done it for me. What is cocaine doing for you? Tell me the truth."

"I just..." he pauses, looking away from her. "I'm hurt—Y'know? My moms don't give a fuck bout me and all I had was my Pop. Now he fuckin' locked up for years 'cause som' shit he done som' time ago. Thanks to snitchin' bitches rattin' him out. I feel neglected. I feel unloved. So when that white got in front of me, I wanted to numb that shit. Ian' wanna think bout bein' alone in dis shit."