30

Haven’t proofread it.

~

“Okay, break it up. What’s the issue between you guys?” Joshua finally said after not being able to take the awkwardness that was spread across our lunch table. His eyes switched from me to him and me again before slamming his hands loudly on the table, earning the attention of the few in the process. 

“Why you being the neighborhood aunt? Let them be the way they are.” Grace scowled at him and he looked at her as if she had grown two heads.

“Let them be? Let them be?! What has gotten into you? Shouldn’t you be worried about the strange silent treatment going on between your closest friends?! You get bat shit crazy at smallest of things when it comes to Rosaline, aren’t you going to dig into the matter now?” He dramatically flared his hands in the air and angrily popped a french fry into his mouth.

“They ain’t kids, plus they did not go along well to begin with.” She replied and started munching her own food, but Joshua did not want to end the conversation just now, oh no, he wanted to dig in and in and in.

“But I thought we were going somewhere! You guys were getting along so well past few days, what happened all of a sudden?” No one replied.

“Caden?” He called him for explanation and he gave me a dead ass glare before looking at Joshua and retorting back, “Why don’t you ask your dear best friend?”

“Rosaline?” Joshua called me as I looked at Caden who was already glaring at me.

“Do you really want me to?” I asked him and he snorted in response.

“Yes, go on. Tell him what happened.”

“Okay then.” I turned towards Joshua and spoke, “He is being a sourpuss because I refused to kiss him.” He spit out the coke from his mouth and looked at Caden with eyes wide and mouth open.

“You what?!”

“You think that’s why I am mad at you?!” Caden roared and the students from the nearby tables started looking at us as if we were showing them  some sort of a movie.

“What else could be the reason?” I retorted back.

“Wait, wait, wait, why did you want to kiss her in the first place?!” Joshua butted in, still in shock, obviously while Grace just kept on eating her food.

“Isn’t it obvious? I like her!” A gasp escaped my lips as I did not expect him to say out those words very boldly in front of everyone, like everyone.

“Since when?!” Joshua asked.

Wasn’t he a curious little ray of sunshine?

“Does it even matter now? Someone here doesn’t even want to give us a chance.” He spit it out angrily, his nose flaring with rage.

“Maybe I don’t want us to happen! Maybe I like someone else.” Yes, I lied because it was better that he stopped the idea of us now then break his heart later.

“You like someone else?” He whispered in pain.

“Is it Steve?” Joshua asked and I nodded my head. As much as I was hurting inside, as much as it was breaking my heart looking at Caden in such state, I had to do it. Maybe he would understand later why I did what I did.

“Yes, it is Steve and yes we have been dating for the last six months and yes no one except for Gracie knew about it because we wanted to keep it at bay for now. Happy? Now can I please eat in peace? Thank you.” I took a huge bite of my burger and started munching it angrily, the entire cafeteria filled with silence.

My eyes wanted to to tear up so badly looking at the hurt and anger that was spread across Caden’s face, but I ignored him. It was better that he hate me then develop feelings for me.

Isn’t it too late for that?

Hasn’t he already started to feel for you?

I shook away all the thoughts and continued focusing on my food when I felt a comforting squeeze on my hand. I looked up and Grace was looking at me with a sad smile. I smiled back at her and shook my head letting her know that I was okay, even though I was hurting inside, even though my heart was shattering into pieces and even though I hated myself for what I was doing.

“So...” Joshua spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

“So?” I asked with a frown.

“You and Steve huh?” I internally slapped myself for what was about to come, but at the same time I was happy that atleast he was not mad at me.

“Shut up.”

“I always knew you guys were going to end up together.” He gushed happily about my nonexistent relationship with Steve and I wanted nothing more than hit my head on the table repeatedly.

“Stop it.”

“Aww, I am so happy for you!” He continued.

“Joshua.” I warned him to shut up, but does he ever shut up? No.

“Can I be the godfather of your kids?” My face grew red in embarassment.

“Shut the fuck up!” Caden roared angrily looking at Joshua and well, it was understandable and then his eyes turned towards me to which I gulped inaudibly. Man, did he look angry.

“And you! Thank you so much for opening my eyes and letting me know how much of a bitch you were for leading me on. I was right about you, you are so fucking fake.” I looked up as the tear was about to roll down my cheeks and took a deep breath before looking at Caden and smiling at him,

“I never lead you on. You did it all by yourself.”

“Disappear.” He growled angrily and I tried really hard to suppress my tears. 

“Watch your fucking mouth.” I turned to look at Grace who had stood up angrily, pushing back her chair which fell on the floor with a loud thud. Her eyes had fire in them and it had been so long since I had seen her this angry.

“Stop taking her fucking side all the damn time and let her fight her own battles. It’s not like she is going to disappear in reality. Bitches like her don’t go away easily.” He retorted back, standing up and looking dead straight into her eyes. If it would have been any other person, they would have pissed their pants, but she was Grace, the one who does not fear anyone.

“One more word, one more fucking word and you will leave this cafeteria with your face black and blue.” I held Grace’s hand and stopped her from lunging into him.

“Let it be, Grace. I am going to do exactly what he wants me to.” She looked at me with a sad face, realising  the meaning behind it.

“Just give me few more days and I will be gone for good. I will disappear just like you want me to.” I told Caden and walked away not waiting for his expressions or response because just a second more and I would have broken down right then and there.

“You have no fucking idea what you just did.” I heard Grace shout at Caden and then I heard a crack. There was no doubt that Grace must have punched him in the face, but he didn’t deserve it, no one deserved any pain but me and maybe that was the reason why I started coughing as soon as I was out of the cafeteria.

Coughing blood.

Just waiting for the end to come soon.

•••••••

I am so happy that you all have been loving this story so much ❤️