SCENE FOUR

Laurie woke up to soft singing from the room next to his, where a small piano was located.

"So let me tell them Friday nights got me feeling lonely, Saturdays are when the bottle's empty...why'd you have to leave me?" A basically angelic voice sang, her voice clearly full of masked pain.

Laurie got up and pulled on a button down with slightly poofed sleeves and walked down the hall, entering the room silently.

"And I know your intentions weren't to break me, but they cut so deep, and I'm dripping slowly, these nights are getting lonley."

Laurie held in his applause as he saw her fingers flying over the keys of the piano for one last verse.

"Why'd you have to leave...me?" She ended with a soft note, sighing slightly as she turned around when Laurie started clapping.

Eva jumped at least 3 feet in the air, her hand over her heart. "Good Lord!" She yelped, her hands immediately going to her hair as to try to straighten it. "Oh, Laurie. It's just you," she said in relief, tying her hair back up into a bun.

"You are a great singer, Eva," Laurie complimented, pulling on a jacket and a scarf. "But I'm heading out. Stay as long as you wish but I'll be in the lake."

Eva looked at him. "Do you," she faltered. "Do you possibly have a gown?" She asked.

Laurie grinned slightly. "My room, 3rd closet," he answered.

Eva giggled. "Do I want to know?"

"Not necessarily," Laurie answered with a cheeky smile before waving and taking off.

-hour later-

Eva had on a pretty satin, French styled gown that she had taken from the closet in Laurie's room which was, indeed, full of dresses.

She sat on the plush chair in his room and sighed. "Why do need to be so perfect?" She whispered to no one. Eva brushed her hands harshly through her hair. "Why do you need to be so perfect and make me fall for you? Why do you-"

"EVA! EVA, IT'S AMY!" Someone yelled , banging on the door loudly. "EVA!"

Eva bolted up and ran down the stairs, pulling on her gloves. "Calm down, I- oh dear. What is it?" She asked hurriedly following Laurie.

Laurie glanced quickly at Eva's clearly distressed face before sighing. "Amy fell into the lake," he muttered.

Eva gaped at him. "She WHAT?!"

Laurie pulled her along. "She fell into fhe ice when Jo and I went skating-"

"Good Lord!" Eva exclaimed before pulling her hand out of Laurie's grip and dashed up the stairs to Amy's room, not even giving him a second glance. 

"Marmee! Marmee!" Eva called, bursting into the room as she panted fro breath. 

the girls turned around. "Eva! Dear, what are you doing here?" Marmee asked, standing up from the bed. 

Eva hugged Beth tightly. "Oh, Marmee, Laurie told me what happened and I just-I felt really guilty and is she okay?" Eva jumbled up. 

Marmee smiled sadly. "I am so very sorry about your shawl, Eva. I-Amy really didn't know that it was your mother's and I'm so sorry. But she didn't catch a cold and the doctor said that she'll be fine, dear." Marmee pulled the girl into a hug. 

"Where's Jo?" Eva asked, looking around. 

Meg sighed. "She's up in her room. Shall I tell her you came by?" 

Eva nodded. "Yes, please. I'll be heading home now and I'll tell Laurie the news. I hope she gets well soon. Have a good night," Eva said as she walked down the stairs and into the night air. 

"How is she?" Laurie suddenly asked, bringing out his arm for Eva to hold. Eva, instead, put an arm around his waist and leaned into him. 

"You are a good friend, Theo," she whispered, rubbing her arms up and down from the chill. 

Laurie looked at her and threw his jacket over her shoulders as he stood in the chilly winter air with only a cotton button-down. He stared at his big house and pulled Eva close. "Well...I tend to give my best at my favourite people," he answered, cheekily grinning at Eva who was smiling softly at the older boy. 

"Now let's go in because you might not be cold now, but I am and you need to back to your house," Laurie said, offering his arm to help her into her carriage as he climbed in after her. 

"Theo?" Eva looked Laurie curiously. "Are you going somewhere?" 

Laurie nodded. "Of course, madam. To ensure you safely get to your estate in north Concord!" 

Eva put her hand on her heart. "Awh," she cooed, ruffling his hair slightly. "My father might kill you though, for he's in the estate, Theo," she added. 

Laurie stayed on. "Then, I will be having to explain why I couldn't let an unguarded duchess ride alone in a carriage. Very simple, really, Eva."

Eva smiled. "Fine. But only this time." she held out her pinky at him. 

Laurie grinned and hooked his pinky on hers. "Promise."

"Good."