SCENE TEN

Eva laughed with Amy, exchanging stories of their experience with Aunt March. 

"Oh! She also told me-"

Just then, Laurie pops his head in the doorway, his eyes filled with wild excitement. "And here's another Christmas giftfor the March family!" he exclaims as he opens the door. 

And it's Mr March supported my Mr Brooke. Mayhem broke out, Amy falling off her chair, Beth crying, Jo dropping-and breaking-a dish, Marmee gasping, and Meg kissing Mr Brooke on the cheek. 

Laurie steps over quietly to Eva and hands her ten dollars. 

"What-" Eva looks at Laurie in confusion. 

Laurie winked. "It only took 90 dollars and a 'I'll tell the duchess of France.'" he said, sitting down next to her. 

Eva smiled, giving Laurie the money back. "Keep it. Buy a coat or two."

"Any suggestions, Miss Fashion?" he asked, cheekily pulling on her curls. 

Eva giggled. "How about the black one that sells for 9 dollars in the sewing shop. It looks like it'll suit you."

Laurie bowed. "Of course." 

There was a beat of silence between the two before Eva broke it. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked. 

"What?" Laurie looked at her puzzled. 

Eva frowned un-noticably. "Que tu vas aller de l'avant et proposer à Jo?" she answered in French. 

Laurie looked down. "Tu étais malade," he whispered. 

Eva's eyes softened. "J'ai le droit de savoir. Mais quoi qu'il en soit, Théodore, je ne vous attribuerai pas cela. J'espère que tout va bien," she said, ruffling his curls. 

"Moi aussi."

^^ Slight filler chapter. Hope you didn't mind.

-Dominique M.