SCENE SPECIAL

"I've worked hard to please you, and I gave up billiards and everything you didn't like, and waited and never complained for I hoped you'd love me, though I am not half as good enough-" Laurie started. 

Jo cupped his face. "Yes you are. You're a great deal too good for me, and I'm so grateful to you and so proud of you, I don't see why I...I can't love you as you want me to!" she said. 

"...You can't?" Laurie asked, his hand threading through his hair. 

Jo looked at him helplessly, knowing that he was meant for someone else. "I can't change the feeling and it would be a lie to say I do when I don't. I'm so sorry, Teddy, so desperately sorry, but I can't help it..."

Laurie backed away from her in denial, shaking his head slightly. "I can't love anyone else, Jo. I only love you," he said, his eyes tearing up slightly. 

"It would be a disaster if we married!"

"It wouldn't be a disaster!"

"We'd be miserable!"

"No, Jo, I would be a perfect saint!" Laurie exclaimed, but he knew what Jo said to be true. 

Jo shook her head. "I can't. I've tried and I've failed."

"Everyone expects it! Grandpa, your family, even Eva! Jo, say you will and let's be happy!" Laurie said, his voice cracking on Eva's name, but only Jo noticed. 

"I can't say 'yes' truly so I won't say it at all. You'll see that I'm right, eventually, and thank me for it," Jo said, her mind wandering to Eva. 

"I'd rather hand myself than realise this, Jo," Laurie said, his voice softening. 

Eva looked from behind a tree, listening into everything they were saying. Her heart broke. It truly did. 

"Teddy," Jo sighed, her eyes roaming over the field. 

"Id' rather be dead," Laurie said, resisting. 

"I love you," Eva whispered, her hand on the bark of the tree as she peered out to the two people beneath her. "I love you too much."

"Teddy, don't say that! Teddy," Jo sighed again, walking to him. 

"Teddy, you'll find some lovely, accomplished girl, who will adore you and make a fine mistress for your fine house but I wouldn't!"

"Yes, you would, Jo."

"Look at me! I'm homely and awkward and I'm-"

"I love you, Jo."

"I'm odd! And you'd be ashamed of me-"

"I love you, Jo," Laurie persisted, his hands in his pockets. 

Eva slid down to the floor of the forest, her cheeks streaked with tears. From what, she didn't know but she did at the same time. 
"I love you."

"And we would quarrel. We can't help it, even now! I'd hate elegant society and you'd hate my scribbling and we would be unhappy and wish we hadn't done it. And everything would be horrid." 

Laurie looked at Jo with slight pain and sadness, his lips pursed and his eyes glazed over. 

He looked up to Jo and opened his mouth. "Anything more?" he whispered. 

Jo nodded. "And, Teddy, I really wish I wasn't the one to say this but-"

"What is it, Jo, what is it?" Laurie asked. 

"Teddy, you don't love me!"

"I do!" 

"You think you do! Teddy, your grandfather and my family expects you to marry someone else! Not me!"

"Who, Jo, who? Who can I love?!" Laurie yelled. 

Eva sobbed, her face in her hands. 
"Me, Laurie, me."

"You can love Eva, Teddy! Eva! Amy's Beautiful best friend?! The Duchess of France?! The girl your grandfather adores?! Laurie love is right in front of you!" Jo exclaimed. 

Laurie looked at Jo in disbelief. "Eva. I cannot love Eva, Jo. I love you."

"Think, Teddy, think! Think of all the time, memories, places you did for her. Think about how much she loves you! Teddy, you need to open your eyes!" 

Laurie fell quiet before talking again. "Do you have more for me to digest?" he asked in a quiet voice. 

"I don't believe that I'll ever marry. I'm happy as I am and love my liberty too well to give it up so freely," Jo said. 

"I think you're wrong about that, Jo," Laurie said. 

"No-"

"I think you will marry. I  think you'll find someone. You'll love him and you'll live and die for him because that's your way in the world... and I'll watch," Laurie trailed off, an actual tear streaking down his cheek. 

Eva sniffed, standing up from the ground. She dusted off her dress and took one look back at the person who she loved and turned and walked away. But not before mumbling, "Yet I'm still here, still watching you fall for another woman, Theodore."

Laurie straightened up, shook his head, and walked away, up to the place where Eva recently was.