SCENE TWELVE

Amy, Eva, and Aunt March ride Eva's open-top carriage, all three ladies decked head-to-toe in french style. But Eva stands out the most. She always had. 

"The decadents have ruined Paris, ifyou ask me. These French womencouldn't lift a hairbrush!" Aunt March complains.

Eva looked at the woman in front of her. "Oh yes, indeed, Aunt March," she said, looking at the passing people. But there is no response from Amy.

"AMY! I said, "These French womencouldn't lift a hairbrush."" 

Amy snapped out of her trance. "Oh yes, Aunt March. Very true."

Aunt March shook her head. "Don't humor me, girl. What do theywrite, your troublemaking family?"

"Mother doesn't say anything aboutBeth. I feel I should go back butthey all say "stay."" Amy sighed, looking at Eva for help but all she could do was shrug. 

But still, Eva nodded along. "I feel as if I should go back. Go see how Beth is."

Aunt March huffed. "You can do nothing if you go back.The girl is sick, not lonely," she scowled. 

Amy and Eva both gave her a hard look but Aunt March just waved them off. 

"And you, Eva, shouldn't go back until you are properly engaged to the Duke of Manchester."

Eva absent-mindedly nodded. "And, of course, until I have finished my painting with Amy."

Aunt March looked at the young girl in brief confusion before nodding. "What? Oh yes, yes. Of course."

Eva looked back at the passer-bys when she saw a boy with a black coat. A coat she had picked out. 

"STOP THE CARRIAGE MICHAEL! LAURIE! LAURIE!" She screamed, her eyes lighting up with fire and she jumped out of the carriage before Michael could even stop it--just like when she was younger. 

She ran to Laurie, not even caring about her outer self as her dress flew behind her and her golden curls loosened themselves from the tight bun. 

Laurie turned around and grinned widely as Eva crashed into him, her hat ribbon around her neck and her curls out of their neat bun. 

"EVA! You're so grown up!" Laurie exclaimed, hugging her tightly.

"You wrote you would come to the hotel!" Eva said, her grey eyes bright. 

Laurie laughed. "I looked for you and Amy and couldn't find you anywhere!"

Eva smiled. "Maybe you didn't look hard enough, Theodore."

"Maybe I didn't recognize you, you've grown so beautiful," Laurie breathed, truly taking time to look at the beautiful girl in front of him. 

Eva sighed at him. "Oh, don't."

"What? I thought you liked that sort of thing?" Laurie responded. 

Eva snorted. "Whatever. Where is your grandfather?"

"Still in Germany. I'm on my own, traveling and having fun."

Eva raised a perfect eyebrow jokingly. "And drinking and gambling, and don't forget flirting with any girl you see..."

"Don't tell Marmee!" Laurie jokingly responded.

Eva swallowed. "Are you...chasing some young girl across Europe?" she asked. 

Laurie's eyes darkened slightly. "...No."

Eva dropped her playfulness in a second. "I'm...I couldn't believe Jo turned you down. I'm so sorry. If...I'm sorry, Theo," Eva murmured, cutting herself off when she was about to tell him that if he asked her, she would've said yes. 

Laurie looked at her eyes. "Don't be, Evangaline. I'm not." His voice was crisp.

"EVANGALINE! EVANGALINE COLBY! YOU COME BACK HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" Aunt March yelled. 

Eva laughed slightly. "I haven't had anyone call me Evangaline Colby in my lifetime!" 

Laurie laughed carelessly and galloped over to Aunt March, kissing her cheek. 

"Aren't we fine, ma'am? Hello, Amy," he grinned, helping Eva up on the carriage. 

"GET HIM OFF OF ME!" Aunt March screeched. 

Laurie just kissed her again, grinning. 

"Phhft. Theodore!" Eva laughed. 

"Michael, GO!" Aunt March yelled. 

And as the carriage drove on, Eva yelled to Laurie, "Come to the New Year's Party! It'sa ball and everyone will be there,including Maverick - Pick me up at thehotel at eight - the Chavain! Dressfor festivities! Top hats andsilks!"

"I will! I'll wear my best silk!" Laurie calls back before turning around gleefully and striding away. 

Eva turned back to Aunt March and Amy. She giddily smiled. "It's Laurie!"

Aunt March rolled her eyes. "I know." 

Amy looked at Eva knowingly. 

And Eva knew too. She loves Laurie. She always loved Laurie. 

Like it or nah?