SCENE NINE

"I'm making a mould of my foot for Laurie to remind him I have nice feet," stated Amy. 

"Mr. Brooke writes that Father is still very weak, but improving. Mr.Brooke also says Mother is the best nurse a man could have..." Meg said, smiling a little. Eva's heart grew a little seeing someone who was like her older sister in love. 

Jo looked annoyed as she said, "I wish all the letters were fromMother, and not Mr. Brooke."

Eva sighed. "You should be grateful for any kind of letter, dear Jo."

Meg nodded in agreement, putting the letters away. 

"I think the deep purple is very fitting for Mr. Laurence, do you agree Amy? Eva?" Beth asked, holding up her slippers. 

Eva smiled. "Quite, Beth," she responded, working on her embroidery. 

"And the design is quite cunning. Eva, you must teach me how to embroider! I hear all the ladies of society know how to!" Amy added. 

Eva laughed. "When you're a little older. It's quite difficult at first." 

Beth sighed. "I had to thank Mr Laurence somehow for allowing me to play the piano at his house all the time."

Eva nodded in understanding. "Of course, Beth."

"I'll go into town for groceries -Jo, can you go look into getting more firewood?" Meg asked, standing up and dusting off her dress. 

The house was a mess. 

"You all haven't been to see theHummel's. We should go," Beth stated, looking pointedly at Jo. 

Jo sighed. "Oh Bethy, we barely have enough to feed ourselves. Besides, I have to finish this story!"

Beth looked mad. "But Marmee said that-"

"Marmee said so many different things we can't possibly do all of them!" Amy interrupted. 

"But I always go by myself and youhaven't been keeping up with yourtasks..." Beth trailed off, looking at Eva desperately. 

"We work!" Jo argued, not even looking up from her writing. 

"Don'y worry, sweet girl, we'll find a time," Meg promised. 

"But it's been weeks!" Beth exclaimed. 

Jo rolled her eyes rather painfully. "We'll go soon."

"MY FOOT'S STUCK! I CAN'T GET IT OUT!" Amy yelled.

Eva giggled before seeing Beth's face. "Oh Beth. I'll go with you!" she said, hooking her arm through her friend's and grabbing three baskets. 

Beth smiled at Eva. "How are you so nice, Eva? When you can have anything in the world?"

Eva sighed, tying her coat. "Well, I tend to look at things in not my perspective but at other's. What would they feel if they were me."

Beth's smile grew wider as Eva snuck in three small coats in a basket and hopped out the door together. 

When Beth and Eva got to the small run-down house, all they heard were cries of a sick baby. 

Beth and Eva returned to the March house, both of them feeling quite sick-Eva quite more than Beth. 

"Here they come!" Eva heard the sisters exclaim, pulling Beth in. 

Eva waits patiently in the living room, her body burning up and her head spinning. "What is wrong with me?" she mumbled, walking behind Beth who had just exited the house. The two friends walked slowly to the Laurence house, Beth immediately going up to Mr Laurence's study and Eva stumbling over to Laurie's room.