SCENE TWENTY

Jo walked outside, giving Eva a cookie. "Hello."

Eva smiled, splitting the cookie in half and giving one to Amy. "Hello. Lovely day."

Jo just laughed and continued on. 

"See, look, this is how you actually fight," Eva heard Laurie tell the younger kids. 

Amy also heard and looked at Eva. "Do you think it's okay to leave the Duke of France with younger kids, Miss Laurence?" she asked jokingly.

Eva sighed in mock thought. "I believe he should be doing paperwork right now but, ah, he pushes it all to 'tomorrow."

Amy giggled, giving Eva her two-year-old son. "Paperwork. So...dreadful." 

Eva sighed. "Yes, well, that's what Laurie-AH! THEODORE LAURENCE!" she screamed in fright, jumping up. 

Laurie laughed, his curls swaying in the wind. "So sorry, Duchess Laurence. I didn't see you there."

Eva grumbled. "Yes, yes. Go teach the kids. I need to take care of your son."

"Our son," Laurie called. 

"He is the spitting image of you, Laurie. I think she can say that Theodore is your son," Amy commented, kissing her husband Charles-a wealthy French man who had close relations to Eva-on the cheek. 

Everyone gathers around Marmee as Jo places a cake in front of her mother. It is her birthday. 

The children sing happy birthday to the-now older-woman, as she and her husband laugh in delight. 

"We have an announcement to make," Eva said quietly, raising her glass. 

Laurie looked at her curiously. "Uh we do?" he asked, wrapping an arm around her waist. 

"Well fine. I do," Eva corrected. "I'm uh, this is rather awkward. Pregnant? I'm pregnant. With twins," she rambled, looking at Amy who already knew. 

Laurie gaped at her as everyone else cheered. 

"Twins?" he breathed. 

Eva's eyes clouded with worry. "Yes, twins. Why?"

Laurie suddenly grinned, hugging both her and his son tightly. "I want more," he mumbled into her hair. 

Eva grimaced. "How about no," she answered, melting into Laurie's warm embrace. 

Laurie laughed. "Why? Do you not like the method?" 

Eva deadpanned. "Theodore, I love children and... the 'method,' but I don't like pushing out the baby," she responded, pressing a kiss to his lips. 

Laurie smiled. "One more? Please?" he asked, leading her away and to the Laurence house where his grandfather was. 

Eva smiled. "Fine. One more and I swear to god, Theodore, I will not have any more children."

Laurie laughed. "I promise...my duchess."

Eva pulled him down for a kiss, still holding her son. "My duke. Now, let's go tell your grandfather."

And when Laurie Laurence saw Eva Beauxbateaons-Laurence walking with their son, her golden curls loose on her back, and her grey eyes bright, he knew he was in love. And no one could change that. 

And when Evangaline Beauxbateaons-Laurence saw Laurie Laurence, the Duke of France, laughing as he helped her hold court in their Paris house, his brown curls perfect, his coat spotless, and his mouth stretched into a smile, she knew she was in love. Forever, until the end of time. And there was no changing it. Not anyone.