SCENE EIGHTEEN

LAURIE'S POV (i know... I'm amazing. It's only for his and Jo's talk)

...

"How's Eva? Did she bother you all the way from Europe with her duchess jobs?" Jo laughed. 

Laurie laughed. "Yes, but I love it." And he did. He really did.

"Where is she now? Did she not go straight home?" Jo asked. 

"Your mother's got her down at Meg's, we stopped there, by the way, and there was no getting my wife out of their clutches," Laurie joked before he actually realised what he said. 

Jo's eyes widened. "Your...your what?!"

Laurie jumped up. "Now I've done it! It was meant to be a surprise," he groaned, thinking of Eva. 

"What surprise?"

"Well, we were engaged, and we were going to wait...that is to say, we are man and wife,
 Laurie rambled. 

Jo sat down hard on the couch, frowning a little. "You and...Eva. No one would've seen that coming."

"Meg did. You slightly did. But it all happened rather fast."

Jo looked at Laurie. "Are you---in love?"

"Yes. Very," Laurie replied, smiling a bit. "But Jo, I want to say one thing and then we'll put it away forever. I have always loved you; but the love I feel for Eva, it's different. It had always been different and I was stupid to not see it. But you were right. We would've killed each other," Laurie said. 

Jo looked mad for a second before she sighed. "Yes."

"It was meant this way."

"Oh Teddy," Jo sighed. 

Laurie smiled. "No one ever calls me that but you."

"What does Eva call you?" Jo asked. 

Laurie grinned. "My Duke."

"That's like her and...well you are one now, aren't you?" Jo asked. 

"I believe I am. But...can we-can we still be friends?" he asked.

Jo forced down her temper. "Of course, my boy, always."

BACK TO EVA'S POV (hey...did you like it? I always thought Amy call Laurie 'My Lord' while they did something*bedroom* so yeah...'my duke' does feel fitting)

The moment Eva entered the house with everyone, dressed in a green and white gown, Jo knew she was jealous. She was jealous that Eva had gotten everything so easy in life. 

Eva studied Jo's face and then Laurie's before talking. "Theodore told you," she said shortly, her own face not giving any hint to what she was feeling. 

"Yes, Teddy told me," Jo said, stressing 'Teddy' out. 

Eva could detect major amounts of jealousy in her voice and quickly pulled away from Amy, looking at her expectantly. 

"I...I will say one thing and let us forget about it, Eva," Jo started quietly. 

Eva's eyebrows narrowed. "Well, go ahead. I will forget about it as you please, Jo."

"You always had a knack of getting what you want easily," Jo accused. 

Amy and Meg gaped at their sister, not believing what she had just said. Laurie also looked at Jo in curiosity. But Eva kept her cool, nodding. 

"Yes, I have, haven't I? And sometimes I feel sorry for others who don't but why-"

"But Eva, can't you, for once, think of others and what they would want?" Jo asked, her eyes piercing into Eva's grey ones.