SCENE SEVENTEEN

Eva sighed as Michael didn't come. 

Suddenly, a fancy carriage pulled up, the doors opening to let Laurie walk out. 

He walked tentatively walked towards Eva who was trying to keep her tears at bay. 

"I couldn't let you travel alone, with Amy already back home and you sick," Laurie said quietly. "Even if you despise me."

Eva's bottom lip trembled as she turned her head towards him, her golden curls loose for the first time in a long while. "Oh Theo, I don't despise you," she whispered, hugging him. 

Laurie hugged her back tightly, cradling her head to his chest. 

"Beth was the best of us," Eva said quietly, not expecting Laurie to answer. 

Eva pulled back, wiping her eyes. "I'm not marrying Maverick Mason," she said, swallowing. 

"I heard about that..." Laurie carefully trailed off. 

Eva shook her head. "It was not for you, it was for myself. And you are under no obligation to say or do anything. It was because I didn't listen properly to myself and I didn't love him as I should've," Eva rushed. 

Laurie looked at her carefully, studying her beauty. And not for the first time, he realises why he loves her so much. 

"You don't have to say anything, we never need to talk about it. But I just want you to know that all along I have always-"

Laurie cut Eva off by cupping her jaw and pressing his lips to hers. Eva didn't waste a second responding, immediately kissing back and snaking her arms to his neck. 

Laurie pulls away, gasping slightly. "Eva, I love you," He murmured, kissing her head. 

Eva closed her eyes in bliss. "I love you...my duke," she whispered. 

Laurie smiled. "My duchess."

Not to be a bother but...guys. I really did this in like a week. Oh my  god I have tears on my computer from crying while writing. I'm so pathetic ^^

-Dominique M.