SCENE THIRTEEN

Eva laughed at what Maverick said when she saw him.

Her piercing gaze immediately followed Laurie as he entered the ballroom loudly and drunk. She hated it.

Eva saw two girls with him as they lounged on the sofa carelessly laughing.

"Excuse me for a bit, Maverick," she muttered, striding purposefully towards Laurie.

"Theodore," Eva said, her eyes burning into his.

Laurie looked up blearly. "Eva."

"I waited an hour for you," Eva said coldly.

"I feel caught." Laurie clumsily yried to make space for her on the sofa as the other ladies rose and departed but Eva wasn't having it. She immediately turned around and left, making Laurie follow her.

"Eva please!" Laurie called.

Eva stopped in her tracks, turning to him. "You want to know what I really think of you?" She asked harshly, her grey eyes darkening.

"What do you honestly think of me?" Laurie asked. But Eva could see he though this was a joke.

Eva lifted her chin. "I absolutely despise you."

Laurie's eyes twinkled. "Why do you despise me?"

"Because with every chance for being good, resourceful, and happy, you are only miserable, lazy, and unfortunate," Eva spit out, not caring that others were watching.

"Oh...this is interesting,"Laurie commented, making Eva's temper rise.

"No wonder. Selfish people do like to talk about themselves."

"Am I selfish?" Laurie asked looking around him.

Eva scoffed. "Yes, very selfish. With you health, talent, beauty, and money. At least I-"

"Beauty?" Laurie asked, his green eyes widening slightly.

Eva's narrowed. "Ah, you like that, you old vanity--with all the good thing to enjoy, you find nothing but dawdle as others serve you."

Laurie just drunkenly put his hand on top of her's and Eva saw her ring on his pinkie.

"I'll be good for you, Duchess Eva! I'll be good!" He dramatically mocked her.

Eva crinkled her nose in slight disgust from the smell of alcohol. "Aren't you ashamed of a hand like that?"

"You have a lesser worked hand, no doubt," Laurie threw at her.

"Yes, but at least I try, Mr Laurence," Eva said, before her eyes swept over his figure. "And that ring is utterly ridiculous."

Laurie looked at her. "You gave me this ring."

"And I fully regret it but the past is the past. And for god's sake, Theodore, let go of the damn past!" Eva exclaimed, hitting his hand away.

"Past...past?"

Eva turned to look at Laurie. "I feel sorry for you. I really do. I'd just wish you'd bear it better."

"You don't have to feel sorry for me, Eva. One day you'll feel the same." Laurie nodded to his words.

Eva scowled. "If I can't be loved, I will die respected, Laurence. I will never end up like you," she spat.

"And what work have you done lately, oh great "artiste?" Or have you been too busy imagining how you'll spend Maverick Marson's fourtune? MAVERICK MARSON, ladies and gentlemen!!" He yelled, earning the attention of everyone.

Eva recoiled, hurt. "Don't you ever say that, Theodore Laurence. You don't have the right."
She smarted before walking off to Maverick and pulling him out. "I'm so very sorry."

But even then, Laurie's eyes followed Eva's figure until she disappeared.