SCENE FIVE

"Oh lord, I'm so ever sorry! I could not, for the life of myself, find my morning dress today!" Eva rushed as she jumped off of her still-moving carriage(scaring all her footmen and Marmee) and stumbled into the arms of Meg. 

"Oh, you came!" Meg exclaimed, hugging her. 

Eva winked at her. "Of course I came, Meg. You're leaving for a week!"

Amy hugged her. "Oh, I missed you , Eva!" Amy leaned closer to her with a devilish smile. "Laurie did too."

Eva gasped in mock-shock. "Really?" She asked, laying the back of her hand on her forehead. "He should've vis-GAH!" Eva screamed in surprise as she was lifted off the ground.

"You didn't come to the dinner, madam," a voice said, amusement laced in it.

Eva grinned and waved to Jo who was looking at her with a strange expression on her face. "Well, Mr Laurence sir, I had the most busiest weeks, for the Duke of York and his son had visited without any further response," Eva answered, hugging Laurie.

"The Duke of York? Did you, perhaps, enjoy their stay, Eva?" He asked, slinging an arm around her slim shoulders. Eva detected a hint of...was that jealousy?

Eva laughed it off. "Why, of course not! But this is not the time of me. It is of Meg, Theodore."

Laurie blanched in disgust. "Don't ever call me Theodore, Evangaline. It sounds too formal."

Eva winked at him. "Well, you are of good money. You should be formal."

....

"Take the other carriage. Both of you," Jo told Laurie and Eva. "Surprise her and make sure she doesn't fall in love."

Laurie saluted. "Yes, Captain Jo!"

Eva bowed. "Of course, madam Jo."

"...pretty things should be enjoyed," Marmee concluded.

Eva grinned and got down on one knee in front of Laurie.

"Theodore! Pretty things should be enjoyed!" She exclaimed and held up her(secretly favourite)ring and placed it in Laurie's palm.

Laurie, Beth, Meg, and Marmee immediately laughed as Amy pouted and Jo slightly glared at Eva.

"I wish I could go to the debutante ball!" Amy pouted but everyone except Eva ignored her.

Jo looked at Meg. "Don't forget about us."

"Of course not!" Meg responded, hugging her sisters and Eva.

♡    -    ♡

"Eva?" Laurie shook her awake. "Eva, we're here."

Eva immediately shot awake, brushing her hair out of her face. "I'm so sorry. I must've been a real bore," she laughed, re-tying her hair.

Laurie smiled at her. "The ride was relatively short. I was fine and by the news I got from your footmen-"

Eva turned to Laurie. "Oh dear. You talked to Michael?" She flushed slightly as she adjusted her  dress.

"And Michael said that you had nobles over all week. And not just the Duke Of York" Laurie raised an eyebrow.

Eva nervously laughed. "Well...yes. I did."

Laurie coughed slightly. "And you were supposed to greet the Duke of Oxford today," he said, his voice softening a bit as he looked at a blushing Eva. 

"Well...uh, Meg was going and I needed to come," she muttered, pulling on her curls. 

Laurie smiled. "And I think that was very sweet, duchess," he teased, opening the carriage door for her to get out in front of the huge house.

Eva blushed even harder, flouncing out of the carriage and slightly fluffing her dress. "You are too nice, Laurie, really." Eva smiled at him sweetly before walking delicately to the front door while Laurie just stood there, (not like he'll admit) admiring her beauty in the slight torch-light there was. And he said that he didn't like fuss and feathers.

"Are you coming, Theodore, or are you just going to stare into windows all night?" Eva called, smiling, slipping on her white silk gloves.

Laurie shook his head slightly. "Focus, Theodore," he muttered before he shook his head again.  before catching up with Eva and taking her arm.

Before the door opened, Eva twirled. "Do I look okay? Hair, dress, everything? Corset?" She asked Laurie.

Laurie grinned. "Absolutely beautiful. Although..." he slyly grinned.

Eva's eyes widened. "Oh, what is it? Is it serious?! Theodore!" She said worriedly.

In one fluid motion, Laurie untied the ribbon from her hair and snatched all the pins that help up her thick curls, making her hair fall down in tight golden curls that framed her face. "There. Perfect." Laurie smiled and pocketed her hair accessories.

Eva groaned. "Laurie! That took me ages to do!" She complained, walking into the house.

Laurie grinned. "But do you care?"

Eva twirled out of his reach. "Not really." She gave him a lopsided smirk and twirled out of sight.

And for some reason, Laurie's heart beat a pattern faster. 

I know. I'm mean. Deal with it.

-Dominique Malfoy