SCENE ELEVEN

"What excessive promises, givingyourself away to get the other.What a thing, what a gift, alwaysgiven before it is known the costor the reward," Mr March stated before sitting back down. 

Eva saw Laurie look at Jo in wonder, although she did not know what was so wonderous about her-even though Jo was her friend.

"It's okay to like him," Amy whispered to Eva, holding her hand. 

Eva's grey eyes unwavered from the sky. "I know. It just hurts," she whispered back. 

Amy hugged one of her closest friends. "I know."

"Laurie, I don't-"

"Oh, pish posh, Eva!" he mocked before offering his hand to Aunt March to dance. 

Aunt March's eyes immediately filled with joy but she dismissed him harshly. 

And as Aunt March moved to depart, she turned to Meg. "I hope you're happy. Now thatyou've ruined your life, just likeyour Mother did by marrying yourfather."

"Dear Sister, you are too kind. Andthank you for today's festivities, Mr March thanked. 

Aunt March lifted her nose. "You are most welcome."

"And-"

"MARMEE! MARMEE! Aunt March is going to Europe and-" Jo swiftly cut Amy off. 

"Wants me to go with her!  How wonderful! Now I know why I spent all those BORING hours reading to her!" Jo exclaimed, flinging her arms around Amy. 

Amy backed away slightly. "No she...she wants me and Eva to come. As her companions," Amy answered, inching closer to Eva as Jo got mad. 

Jo looked slightly stunned. "Europe? With you and Eva? Why, she hasn't even met Eva!" 

Eva cringed. "Ah well...I uh have met her. She was friends with my mother."

"And she wants me to work on my art, andmy French, of course," Amy added.

"Oh....I...that's wonderful, Amy," Jo mumbled before walking off. 

And, for some reason, Eva felt slightly glad she was returning home. There was no heartbreak there. 

I swear, the chapters will get longer. Plus, I'm almost done with this book. Just like 5-8 more chapters.

-Dominique M.