SCENE EIGHT

Oh, how I love the Victorian era, full of pretty dresses and tight corsets. Men in war and civil uprisings!

-Dominique M.

Eva's carriage stops at the Laurence house, quickly picking up Mr Laurence and Laurie. 

"Oh dear," Eva mumbled, looking at the March household bustling around and Marmee looking worriedly at the front door. 

"Why?" 

"They must've gotten the telegram," Eva muttered, hitting the roof of the carriage, opening the door and jumping out, running to where Beth was crying. 

"Oh sweet, sweet, Beth. Don't cry. Your father is going to be fine. I promise you," Eva soothed, also hugging Amy. 

"Eva! Oh gosh, did you-Laurie!" Meg exclaimed. "Mr Laurence, I'm so very-"

"Is Jo back yet from Aunt March?" Marmee asked, poking her head into the room. 

Eva and Amy shook their heads. "I haven't seen her," Eva responded, pressing a kiss to Amy's head. 

"I can't miss the last train," Marmee trailed off, a worried look on her face. 

Laurie cleared his throat. "What can I do?" He asked, helping Beth into the room and kissing Marmee's cheek. 

"If I may be more of assistance, please tell me. I will look in on the girls without fail, every day," Mr Laurence promised, looking at Marmee. 

Marmee looked like she had tears in her eyes. "Thank you." 

Mr Laurence nodded. "I have always admired you husband. I hope he has a fast recovery."

"While I am gone, Hannah will be in charge and please remember to check on the Hummels. It will be a hard winter for all of us-"

Jo spontaneously burst in the front door, placing some money into her mother's hand. "Will this be enough for the train?" she asks. 

Everyone looks at the twenty five dollar bill and Eva gets a face of horror. 

"JO!" 

"25 dollars? This isn't like Aunt March to be so generous!" Marmee states. 

Jo shook her head. "I didn't go to Aunt March. I couldn't bear to."

"Where did you get the money?"

"I only sold what was my own," Jo said, removing her hat. And beneath it all was a blunt crop. Her long hair gone. 

Eva blanched, standing up. "You idiot!" She exclaimed, her French accent thickening. "You could've just asked me! I would have not minded! You did not need to cut off all of your hair!" she exclaimed but still hugged Jo. 

Jo bowed her head. "I could not ask you for money, Eva."

Eva nodded, stiffening slightly as she ran to Laurie to hug him. 

"You look like a statue, Eva. Relax," Amy murmured. 

Marmee looked at the girls and sighed. "Be good. I will come back as soon as possible." and with that, she left. 

Eva knocks on the door of the Laurence house, shivering in the winter wind. She had on only a thin evening gown and her shoes, her hair down to her waist in soft curls. 

"Yes? Who is-Miss Eva!" the maid quickly ushered the freezing girl into the house. "Why have you come? You are freezing, girl! Go to the fireplace!" 

Eva thanked her and wrapped a fluffy blanket around herself. "Could-could y-you please g-get La-Laurie, madam?" she asked, her teeth chattering. 

The maid nodded. "Of course, of course," she answered, rushing out of the drawing room and upstairs. 

Eva immediately started rocking back and forth, still not warm enough and the shock getting to her. 

"Eva!" Laurie exclaimed, running down the stairs as he rushed to put on his night shirt, giving Eva a full view of his toned chest and stomach. 

"L-Laurie," she whispered as her voice shook, rocking back and forth in front of the fire, trying to dry her damp hair. 

"Eva, Eva, what's wrong?" Laurie asked, pushing in another log to keep the fire high. 

Eva's bottom lip trembled, her eyes watering. "My father died," she mumbled, tears splashing down onto her dress. 

Laurie gaped at her, but seeing her small form shake with tears, he immediately scooped her into his arms and gingerly laid another blanket over her shoulders. 

"It'll be okay," he murmured, gently stroking her hair. 

Eva broke down  sobbing, her hands clutching tightly onto Laurie's shirt, her tears shaking it.

And soon, Eva's sobs turned into sniffles, and sniffles turned into sighs. And she fell asleep. 

But Laurie couldn't take his eyes off of the sleeping figure in his arms as he carried her upstairs. He couldn't help but feel like she wasn't eating enough, as he felt her ribs slightly under her thick corset.

But he pushed it away.