Stealing the Timeturners

Judi and Draco sidled under Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak. Earlier that evening Judi had gone to the Weasley’s burrow and asked to borrow it. Harry obliged without question. Judi told him the plan anyway, along with Hermione and the remaining Weasley’s.  She felt like her heart would wrench out of her chest when she saw the missing twin.

The door to the Department of Mysteries was easy to find and nearly as easy to get through. As they approached the door, it swung open and Charlie Weasley strode out, pausing at the door keeping it open. Judi muttered a spell a red sparks emitted from her wand, just enough for Charlie to see.  He stepped aside and let them through.

“You know, those Weasleys aren’t so bad,” Draco mummered in Judi’s ear. “I never knew they could be this sneaky.”

“How do you think they survived so many years?” Judi asked. “Remember, Fred and George are….” She trailed off. It hurt to say Fred’s name. After all, she had been one of the causes of his death and they had grown so close in the weeks she’d been at Hogwarts.

As if he understood, Draco dropped the subject, remaining quiet. They traveled in silence, slipping into corners when someone got too close. Finally, they stepped into a room that was chock full of Time-turners.

“We hit the Jackpot.” Draco sniggered.  A passing ministry official paused and glanced around. Finally, he convinced himself he’d imagined something and walked off. This was the Department of Mysteries.

They circled around a pile of Time-turners, made sure no one was looking. Judi reached under the cloak, and snagged six time-turners, quickly slipping them under the cloak. “Let’s go,” she whispered as she stuffed them in her muggle messenger bag.

Getting out was harder as they had no idea which way they had come in.  They wandered around until they found Charlie huddled in a corner, a box in his lap. He held something in his hand.  They hurried over to him.

“Charlie!” Judi hissed and he looked up, suddenly alert. Judi felt a pang of guilt when she saw there were tears in his eyes. Her eyes moved to his hand. It was a picture of Fred. No mistake. He was lively, and looked like he had just pulled a prank.

“Judi, are you there?” Charlie asked. In answer she shot the red sparks. “Follow me,” he said. “I’ll lead you out.”

He walked swiftly and in no time at all, they were at the door. When they exited, and the door was closed, Judi pulled the invisibility cloak off of herself. “Charlie,” she started.

Charlie held up his hand. “Don’t mention it,” he said his smile sad. “Just go save Cedric.”

“He won’t be the only one we save,” she said, looking him dead in the eye. It was a promise.

Before Charlie could say anything else, Judi joined Draco under the cloak and they disapperated with a pop.

Judi stood on the balcony outside her room, leaning all her weight on her hands. Her left leg was out further then her right, foot slightly off the ground. Not long ago, she would stand on this balcony with Draco, coffee in hand, dressed in housecoats, watching the sunrise. Now, Judi stood alone, staring at the black sky, with the stars glimmering like glitter. The sky was clear, while her soul and heart were a hurricane.

All the deaths she had caused, Fred’s, Tonks’, Remeus’, and even little Collin Creevy, had effected the Wizarding World so much. Judi wondered now, why Draco had come back for her, had asked her to stay with him, after all the pain she had caused.

At the thought of Fred the memories she’d been repressing came rushing back. He’d made her laugh, had been so friendly, even after everyone knew the truth about her. He along with George had helped everyone come to terms with their status. The runners of Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes were extremely popular and well thought of, so they hadn’t had to do much persuading. But Fred, Fred was the better of the twin’s. In the events that he and his brother were separated, he kept Judi company. When they were together, Judi’s guilt would go away, and she would not feel so deceiving anymore.

Tears overflowed and she slumped to her knees, arms holding her stomach, as she saw the image of Fred’s mangled body being carried into the Great Hall. She had run forward, noticing that he had a ghost of a laugh on his face. The kill had been unexpected. Molly Weasley had glared hard at her, mirroring Judi’s thoughts: Fred’s loss was her fault.

Cedric would not be the only life she saved. She wanted, needed Fred back. Back with his family, his friends, and his business. She did not care if he never forgave her. She just wanted Fred alive.

Judi took a deep breath and got to her feet. “I will give life back to this world.”

Then she turned around and went inside, figuring she would sleep in Draco’s bed tonight. She couldn’t be alone.