Into the Maze

Just as they hit the entrance, Dumbledore stopped in his tracks and spun around. "Mrs. Granger, now would be the time to take the precautions."

Judi watched Hermione’s face go white as she took out her wand. "Does everyone have their cloaks?" Her voice broke twice.

Everyone held up the billowy fabrics.

"Good," Hermione said in a breathless voice. Ron reached out to stroke her arm soothingly. "Thanks Ron," she mummered. She rose her wand. Judi did not miss that it was pointed straight at her. Her body went rigid. Fred’s hold on her tightened.

Judi did not see Hermione’s lips move, but was aware at once when the charm struck her. It felt as if an egg had been cracked on her head and a cold sensation was trembling it’s way all through her body. She closed her eyes, keeping them closed, even when she heard the many followed voices as they were all hit with the charm.

She did not open her eyes again until the sensation grew, and she felt a sliver of fabric on her body. She glanced up. Fred had thrown the invisibility cloak around her. His whole being also went invisible, the Disillusionment charms making so that he took on what he was near or touching.

But Judi could see him, see him clearly.

"Time to go," Dumbledore said in his usual cheerful voice. Judi flinched. How could he find it possible to becheerful at a time like this?

She felt, rather than saw, Fred lean down and kiss her gently on her forehead. His movements were blended in perfectly with what she was seeing.

And she was no longer seeing Fred.

They walked out of the castle, but no one except Dumbledore knew about this little parade. The rest of the students, staff, and guests of Hogwarts would only see Dumbledore.

Judi felt grateful of the invisibility. She didn’t want anyone to see her crying.

Twenty minutes later, Judi stood with Fred, Draco, Ginny, and Neville. They would be following Harry in. The rest would be following Draco through. The other two champions were stationed around their own section, accompanied by their headmaster, mistress, or (in Cedric case) parent. Dumbledore stood next to Harry and appeared to be mumbling frantic notes to him. But he was in fact, muttering remembrances to everyone.

When Dumbledore turned away, Judi shivered. He rose his wand, motioning for silence. "Our two first place champions, Mr. Diggory and Mr. Potter will go in first at the sound of the canon. Please ready yourselves and remember what you were told."

Fred’s lips were suddenly pressed against Judi’s own. Even through the cloak, she could plainly taste the flavor. She clutched him to her, returning the kiss with more passion than she had ever used. And then the kiss was over as Dumbledore roared, "Let it begin!"

Judi turned and hurried after Harry, everyone else on her heels. Once inside, the entrance closed behind them, shrouding them in darkness and silence.

"You guys there?" Harry muttered.

"Yeah," the group replied in unison.

They followed Harry through the maze, their footsteps the only sound. They followed through the riddles, and obstacles. When they came upon the first encounter of the spider, they all helped zap it, bringing it down faster. They all knew, from Harry's description, that they needed to expect it again.

And then, after turning the last corner, Cedric came into view, closely pursued by the same spider as before.

"No!" Judi screamed.

Cedric spun around at her cry and started when he saw Harry. His eyes widened in surprise when, after throwing off her cloak and shaking off the charm, Judi came into view. A piercing scream sounded from above them, at the exact spot Judi was looking at.

There was no doubt on whose voice it was.

"NO!" Ron appeared himself, only a mere three feet away from Cedric, his wand whipping out above him.

"Judi!" Fred called after her, and when Cedric’s eyes widened again, Judi knew that he too had removed everything.

"Show yourselves!" Judi screamed as she ran. "There’s no time. Help her!"

And she could see Hermione now as the spider flung her around in the air.

Judi’s eyes landed on Cedric. She saw him mouth the word "What,"

She raised her wand, running right for him and said the countercurse to Obliviate. The countercurse not yet known by any person from this year.

Before the spell struck him, Judi saw Cedric freeze in response. She knew he was probably thinking that she was here to help Harry, to betray him. He was only partly right.

Cedric closed his eyes as the spell took effect and Judi stopped for a moment to catch her breath, keeping her eyes locked on Cedric.

His eyes flew open. The look he gave her then made it clear that he knew, that he remembered everything.

He spun around and took off toward the glowing Triwizard Cup.

"Cedric, NO!"

Judi took off after him now, her lungs protesting sharply in her chest. "Stop Cedric!" she screamed, fearful now. "Cedric no it’s a trap!"

He didn’t let up. Cedric did not believe her. She knew he was scorned.

In that instant, where Cedric was running straight towards his death, Judi did the only thing she could do.

Her wand out in front of her, Judi was still running when she panted, "STUPEFY!"

The shot of red sparks hit Cedric square in the back. A moment later, he fell to the ground.

Safe.

She stopped now, and hugged herself, breathing hard as her exertion declared revenge on her body. It wasn’t going down without a fight and she could feel the pain from running so hard for a long stretch. She worked to steady her breathing, gasping now.

"Damn asthma," she swore.

Then, just as her lungs gave a nasty strain in her chest, a squeal that was unanimalistic rang shrilly behind her.

She slowly turned, then froze.

The giant and angry spider, having apparently dropped Hermione now with so many curses flying at it, was now headed right for her.