22. Birthdays

"Fia, your phone's ringing

"Fia, your phone's ringing." Peter whispered to his girlfriend, nudging her as they sat at their desks. They were in Spanish Class when her phone started to buzz in her pocket. The other classmates turned their heads to look at the teenager as the teacher stopped talking to clear her throat as she looked at Becca.

"Los teléfonos deben estar apagados durante la clase, señorita Barnes." Phones are to be off during class, Miss Barnes. The teacher said as she crossed her arms. It had been seven months since Becca returned home and everyone knew her true identity. It was September 10th, the day before her mother's birthday. She was sad she wouldn't be able to celebrate like they had wanted to do together, but that was the reality the Rogers/Barnes family had to come to terms with now.

In school her teachers were curious but for the most part respected her past and trials, they often asked her if she was doing alright with the press always hounding the child of the Winter Soldier and Doctor Mary Rogers-Barnes.

The classmates on the other hand would either stay away from her, or torment her. Frightened of what Becca could possibly do to them or too cocky in knowing she wont do anything so they use that to bully her. Calling her father names in front of her or behind her back knowing they could hear her. It didn't matter to the bullies if she was the niece of Captain America anymore. He was a wanted fugitive just like the rest of her family. The bullies would play that card most. How she should be locked away like the rest of her family.

Becca would never stand up to them, because if she did, she wouldn't be able to hold herself back. Hearing what they call her family angers her to her very core, but she couldn't give them a reaction.

"Fia." Peter whispered low enough for the teacher to not hear but it snapped Becca out of her thoughts quick enough for her to grab her phone.

"I-" Becca catches herself speaking English before correcting herself as her eyes widen in shock seeing her mother's apprentice's caller ID on her phone screen. She didn't have either of their numbers so Becca didn't know which apprentice was calling her, but she needed to answer this call. "Necesito tomar esto, por favor." I need to take this, please. Becca replied.

The teacher raised an eyebrow as her classmates around her started to whisper, "¿Y quién te está llamando ahora mismo?" And who is calling you right now? The teacher asked skeptically.

Becca hesitated as she answered the phone to find out who exactly was calling her, "Hello?" She whispered.

"Becca Barnes?" A female voice on the other line answered, "My name is Evelyn Erskine, your mother's second apprentice." Evelyn introduced herself, "We briefly saw each other before your family fought on the tarmac."

Becca's eyes widened in shock as she looked at Peter before looking back at her teacher, "Give me one second." She whispered back to Evelyn. She pulled her phone from her ear as she looked back at the teacher, "Doctora Erskine." She answers the teacher and the class along with Peter gasps. The whispers begin to get louder around her before the teacher quiets down her class.