Nightmares and Sleepovers

Nick's POV

Jesus Christ. When I first saw her, I didn't even take in her appearance I just looked into her mesmerizing eyes as I finished the song I started to sing for Jay. I don't often sing for people. I know I don't sound awful, but I typically only sing for me or if it's for someone important. Like her and the small child I've fallen in love with.

She's covered in blood. My brain automatically jumps to her being injured in some way which wouldn't really make sense considering she's standing in front of me looking exhausted, but fine.

I want her to eat before she passes out, so I gently take her hand to lead her downstairs. I lead her over to a stool by the counter and have her sit down before taking her food out and beginning to reheat it.

I turn to face her. I watch her eyes droop slightly as she leans her chin on her hand, gazing up at me through half lidded eyes.

"You can't keep doing this to yourself. You're exhausted." I murmur quietly to her.

"I know. I need to quit. But I also need the money to hire someone around here. The workload has gotten too much. Jesus, I still have chores to do tonight." She sighs and starts to rise from her seat. "I should do them now before I eat." I walk around the counter and place my hands on her shoulders, gently pushing her back into her seat.

"You're eating first. All the chores are done except feeding grain and doing a headcount." Her eyes widen in shock as she stares at me. "I didn't know what you normally feed so I didn't want to over feed. Everyone got hay, and you will just have to miss a headcount tonight. I didn't dare take Jay out with me without you being present." Her mouth opens and closes like she is fighting for words.

"How......why...." She sighs. "You didn't have to do that." She looks down at her hands like they are suddenly the most interesting thing on the planet. I sigh in exasperation.

"Spence." I graze my hand under her chin, gently lifting it up to face me. I gently caress the side of her jaw as I maintain eye contact. I want her to get what I'm saying.

"I know you don't like to ask for help or accept it for that matter. But I can't sit by and watch you kill yourself knowing I could have helped. I wanted to do the chores. It's not like you are forcing me. I enjoy farm work. I'm a professional landscaper for god sakes, I'm used to hard work and I like it." She tries to turn away from me, but I firmly hold her head towards mine. Raising my eyebrows, I try and make my point as I stare at her.

I can see her warring with herself. Taking help doesn't come easily for someone like her. She's hardworking, stubborn, and prides herself in doing her own work.

"What would be the difference between me helping you or a farm hand? Hmm?" Spencer sighs and I let her move her head from my grasp.

"Well for one, I'm not paying you." She sends me an indignant glare. She's so feisty, I smirk inwardly.

"And I wouldn't accept it if you did." The microwave dings, causing me to turn around and grab her food. I made tacos so hopefully she doesn't mind them. She glanced down at her plate and stared at it for a few seconds.

Does she really not like tacos? Who hates tacos?

"You cooked." She says it softly like it's the most amazing or unusual thing. I'm sure the confusion is evident on my face.

"Of course. Jay needed dinner. So, did you."

"Well yeah, but I figured you'd just heat up chicken fingers or make Mac and cheese or something, not like actually cook." She takes a bite and moans as soon as the food hits her taste buds. Her eyes roll back slightly.